Proposal: The Packers' Fred Leicht, who supervised the 1925 construction of City Stadium, submitted a proposal for a new, 32,000-seat facility in May 1955.
Referendum: Passed April 3, 1956 (11,575 to 4,893), while community leaders continued debate over a site.
Site: In late April 1956, the Packers hired an engineering company to study proposed locations. The company in July 1956 recommended the corner of Highland (now Lombardi) Avenue and Ridge Road.
Land: City Council purchased farmland owned by Victor and Florence Vannieuwenhoven in August 1956 for $73,305.
Contract: Awarded early in 1957, with groundbreaking as soon as weather permitted.
Time: No longer than nine months, in time for '57 opener.
Cost: $960,000 in municipal bonds; the Packer Corporation paid $634,700 in interest and principal.