The Green Bay Packers will face the Detroit Lions at Lambeau Field on Sunday.
- Green Bay will close out the regular season against Detroit for the third straight year and the fourth time in the last five seasons.
- Including a 1994 playoff victory, the Packers are 25-2 against the Lions in the state of Wisconsin since 1992. u Green Bay has a 27-10 overall mark (.730) against Detroit since 2000, a .730 winning percentage that ranks No. 1 among NFL teams that have played the Lions 10-plus times over that span, according to profootball-reference.com.
- The Packers have a 16-2 home record (.889) against Detroit since 2000.
- It is the first December meeting in Green Bay between the two since a 30-20 Green Bay victory in Week 17 of the 2014 season.
- With QB Aaron Rodgers as the starter, the Packers are 6-2 in Week 17 games, including 3-0 against Detroit.
- Rodgers has recorded a passer rating of 115.0-plus in five of the eight Week 17 games he has started (126.0, 139.6, 131.8, 117.1, 132.2).
- Dating back to 2008, Rodgers has thrown for 18 touchdowns and just four interceptions in Week 17 games with a passer rating of 111.0 that ranks No. 1 in the NFL among active quarterbacks (min. 150 pass att.) over that span (according to pro-football-reference.com).
- The Packers are 2-1 under Interim Head Coach Joe Philbin.
- In Week 16, Green Bay came back from 15 points down in the fourth quarter to defeat the New York Jets. It is the first time in team history that the Packers have come from 15-plus points down in the fourth quarter in two games in a season (Week 1 vs. Chicago), according to the Elias Sports Bureau.
- Last week, Green Bay totaled 35 first downs, the second most in a game in franchise history behind only the 37 at Philadelphia on Nov. 11, 1962.
- Six of the Packers' eight losses this season have been by eight points or less, including three by three or fewer points.
This is an abbreviated version of the Dope Sheet. Read the full version here:
RODGERS AND THE LIONS
- QB Aaron Rodgers has led the Packers to 13 wins in 17 games against the Lions, completing 362 of 548 passes (66.1 pct.) for 4,500 yards (264.7 per game), 37 touchdowns and six interceptions with a passer rating of 109.3.
- Rodgers has recorded a 100-plus passer rating 12 times against Detroit, including each of the last three times he has faced them, recording a rating of 108.0 this season and ratings of 126.0 and 129.3 in 2016.
- The Packers have won 11 of the 12 games against the Lions when Rodgers recorded a passer rating of 100-plus.
- Rodgers has led Green Bay to seven wins in eight starts at home against Detroit, throwing 17 touchdowns with just three interceptions and a passer rating of 110.1 in those games.
- Rodgers has registered a passer rating of 100-plus in six of eight home games versus the Lions.
- In the last five home games against Detroit, Rodgers has thrown nine TDs and zero interceptions.
WITH THE CALL
FOX Sports, now in its 25th season as an NFL network television partner, will broadcast the game.
- Play-by-play man Justin Kutcher joins analyst Pat McAfee and Robert Smith along with sideline reporter Sarah Kustok.
- Milwaukee's WTMJ (620 AM), airing Green Bay games since November 1929, heads up the Packers Radio Network that is made up of 50 stations in four states. Wayne Larrivee (play-by-play) and two-time Packers Pro Bowler Larry McCarren (analyst) call the action. McCarren first joined the team's broadcasts in 1995 and enters his 24th season calling Packers games. After originally being paired together in 1999, McCarren and Larrivee enter their 20th season of broadcasts together. In Week 1, they surpassed Jim Irwin and Max McGee for the most regular-season and postseason games broadcast for the Packers.
- The broadcast is also available on Sirius Satellite Radio (WTMJ feed).
- DIRECTV subscribers can watch the game on Channel 711.
THE DOPE ON THIS WEEK'S OPPONENT
Packers vs. Lions:
- All-time, Regular season: 98-71-7
- All-time, Postseason: 2-0
- All-time, at Lambeau Field: 33-12-3
- Streaks: The Lions have won the last three meetings.
- Last meeting, regular season: Oct. 7, 2018, Lions won, 31-23, Ford Field
Joe Philbin: 26-29, .473; 5th NFL season
Matt Patricia: 5-10, .333; 1st NFL season
Head to Head: 0-0
vs. Opponent: Philbin 0-1 vs. Lions; Patricia 1-0 vs. Packers
JOE PHILBIN…Is the Packers' interim head coach.
- Is in his second stint with the Packers, having coached on Green Bay's staff from 2003-11, including five seasons (2007-11) as offensive coordinator.
- Helped the Packers offense rank in the top 10 in the league in total yards and total points each year from 2007-11.
- In 2011, led a Green Bay offense that set single-season franchise records for total points (560), touchdowns (70), total yards (6,482) and net passing yards (4,924).
- As head coach of the Miami Dolphins from 2012-15, helped Miami increase its win total in 2012 and 2013, one of only four teams in the NFL to improve its record in both of those seasons.
- Prior to joining the NFL ranks, coached on the collegiate level for 19 seasons.
MATT PATRICIA…Is in his first year as the Lions' 27th head coach.
- Served on the New England Patriots' coaching staff for the past 14 seasons (2004-17), including six years (2012-17) as defensive coordinator.
- Helped lead the Patriots to three Super Bowl championships (XXXIX, XLIX, LI), six AFC championships and 13 AFC East division titles.
- From 2012-17, led a Patriots defense that ranked third in points allowed (19.2), fourth in games allowing 20 points or fewer (53) and second in games allowing 17 points or fewer (47).
- In 2017, New England held teams to 20 points or fewer in 11 games (second in NFL), including 10 games with 17 or fewer. In 2016, the Patriots boasted the league's top overall scoring defense, allowing only 15.6 points per game.
THE PACKERS-LIONS SERIES
- The Week 17 victory in 2016 gave the Packers their 100th win (including playoffs) against the Lions franchise. Green Bay's 100 victories against Detroit are the club's most against any one opponent.
- Green Bay won 29 of the first 38 matchups in the series before the Lions reeled off 11 straight wins over a six-year span (1949-54).
- The Packers are 39-16 overall and 22-2 at Lambeau Field against Detroit since the start of the 1992 season.
- The teams have met twice in the postseason, with the first playoff matchup in the Wild Card round of the 1993 season. That game saw QB Brett Favre find WR Sterling Sharpe for a game-winning 40-yard score with less than a minute to go, marking the first playoff win for the Packers in more than 10 years.
Green Bay TE Robert Tonyan signed with Detroit as an undrafted free agent in 2017 and spent his first offseason with the Lions...Packers S Josh Jones attended Walled Lake (Mich.) Western High School...Green Bay assistant special teams coach Maurice Drayton is cousins with Detroit WR Bruce Ellington...Lions DT Ricky Jean Francois played in six games for the Packers in 2017...Detroit T Rick Wagner is from West Allis, Wis., and was a team captain for the Wisconsin Badgers, starting 37 games during his college career…Lions LB Nick Bellore is a Whitefish Bay, Wis., native… Packers defensive line coach Jerry Montgomery coached for the Michigan Wolverines from 2011-12...Green Bay running backs coach Ben Sirmans coached at Michigan State for two seasons (2005-06)...Packers TE Jimmy Graham played alongside Detroit TE Luke Willson and CB DeShawn Shead in Seattle...Packers TE Lance Kendricks teamed with Lions OL Andrew Donnal for two seasons (2015-16) with the Rams in St. Louis/Los Angeles...Detroit offensive assistant coach Darius Swinton also coached in St. Louis for one season (2011) during Kendricks' time with the Rams...Green Bay offense – run game coordinator/offensive line coach James Campen played for New Orleans for two seasons (1987-88) while Lions special teams coordinator Joe Marciano served on the Saints' coaching staff...Marciano and Detroit defensive backs coach Brian Stewart coached in Houston while Packers secondary coach Jason Simmons played for the Texans...Green Bay defense – run game coordinator/inside linebackers coach Patrick Graham coached in New England while a number of Detroit coaches and players were with the Patriots: head coach Matt Patricia, quarterbacks coach Gregory Godsey, head strength and conditioning coach Harold Nash, RB LeGarrette Blount and S Tavon Wilson...Wilson played at Illinois when Packers special teams coordinator Ron Zook was the head coach... Patrick Graham and Packers quarterbacks coach Frank Cignetti served on the N.Y. Giants' coaching staff while Lions DE Romeo Okwara, LB Devon Kennard, LB Kelvin Sheppard and DT Damon Harrison played for the team... Sheppard also played for the Dolphins (2014-15) while Green Bay interim head coach Joe Philbin was Miami's head coach...Packers tight ends coach Brian Angelichio coached in Tampa Bay for one season (2012) while Blount played for the Buccaneers...Angelichio and Cignetti coached alongside Detroit running backs coach David Walker at the University of Pittsburgh... Angelichio and Cignetti also coached together at Rutgers in 2011 while Lions CB Marcus Cooper Sr. played for the Scarlet Knights...Detroit wide receivers coach Robert Prince and Nash worked on the Colorado coaching staff while Packers T David Bakhtiari was playing for the Buffaloes...Godsey coached at Central Florida while Green Bay G Justin McCray played for the Knights…Lions K Matt Prater played two games for the Atlanta Falcons in 2007 while Packers defense – pass game coordinator Joe Whitt served on the Falcons' coaching staff...Detroit defensive line coach Bo Davis coached at Alabama while Packers P JK Scott played for the Crimson Tide...Green Bay QB Tim Boyle was a freshman at Connecticut when Lions defensive coordinator Paul Pasqualoni was the head coach...Detroit tight ends coach Chris White coached at Iowa while Green Bay CB Josh Jackson played for the Hawkeyes...Former college teammates include: Scott and Lions DL Da'Shawn Hand (Alabama), Packers CB Tony Brown and Lions DT A'Shawn Robinson (Alabama), Packers LB Antonio Morrison, Lions WR Brandon Powell, LB Jarrad Davis and CB Teez Tabor (Florida), Packers C Corey Linsley and Lions T Taylor Decker (Ohio State), Packers LB Blake Martinez and Lions TE Levine Toilolo (Stanford) and Packers LB Kyler Fackrell and Lions CB Nevin Lawson (Utah State).
LAST MEETING, REGULAR SEASON
Oct. 7, 2018, Lions won, 31-23, Ford Field
- Green Bay QB Aaron Rodgers completed 32 of 52 passes for 442 yards and three TDs.
- Packers WR Davante Adams recorded nine receptions for 140 yards (15.6 avg.) and one TD.
- Lions QB Matthew Stafford completed 14 of 26 passes for 183 yards and two TDs.
This is an abbreviated version of the Dope Sheet. Read the full version here: