Green Bay willl finish the regular season with a road trip to Ford Field to play the Detroit Lions.
- The Packers are closing out the regular season against the Lions for the fourth straight year and the fifth time in the last six seasons.
- The Packers lead the regular-season series, 99-72-7 (.576), and have won both postseason contests the two have played.
- Green Bay's 99 wins over the Lions are the most the Packers have against any team.
- Dating back to 2007, Green Bay has won five of seven games played between the two in Week 17, with the winning team scoring 30-plus points in each of those games.
- Green Bay is looking to sweep the regular-season series with Detroit for the first time since 2016 and for the 11th time in the last 20 seasons (since 2000).
- Green Bay has a 28-11 overall mark against Detroit since 2000, a .718 winning percentage that ranks No. 2 among NFL teams (Minnesota, 29-11, .725) that have played the Lions 10-plus times over that span, according to pro-football-reference.com.
- The Packers are closing out the regular season with two road games for the first time since 2004 when they played at Minnesota and Chicago.
- With 12 wins, Head Coach Matt LaFleur is tied for the fifth most wins by an NFL head coach in their first season (Jim Caldwell and George Seifert had 14 and Jim Harbaugh and Steve Mariucci had 13).
- Green Bay has 12 sacks over the last three games, the most in the league over that span.
RODGERS AND THE LIONS
- Rodgers has led the Packers to 14 wins in 19 games as a starter against the Lions, completing 389 of 592 passes (65.7 pct.) for 4,809 yards (253.1 per game), 39 touchdowns and seven interceptions with a passer rating of 107.7.
- Rodgers has recorded a 100-plus passer rating 12 times against Detroit, including three of the last five times has faced them.
- The Packers have won 11 of the 12 games against the Lions when Rodgers recorded a passer rating of 100-plus.
IN WEEK 17
- With QB Aaron Rodgers as the starter, the Packers are 6-3 in Week 17 games, including 3-1 against Detroit. Rodgers' only loss against the Lions in Week 17 came last season in a game where he only threw five passes before an injury ended his day.
- Rodgers has recorded a passer rating of 115.0-plus in five of the nine Week 17 games he has started (126.0, 139.6, 131.8, 117.1, 132.2).
- Dating back to 2008, Rodgers has thrown for 18 touchdowns and just four interceptions in Week 17 games with a passer rating of 110.3 that ranks No. 1 in the NFL among active quarterbacks (min. 150 pass att.) over that span (according to pro-football-reference.com).
WITH THE CALL
- FOX Sports, now in its 26th season as an NFL network television partner, will broadcast the game.
- Play-by-play man Kevin Burkhardt joins analyst Charles Davis and sideline reporter Pam Oliver.
- Milwaukee's WTMJ (620 AM), airing Green Bay games since November 1929, heads up the Packers Radio Network that is made up of 50 stations in four states. Wayne Larrivee (play-by-play), two-time Packers Pro Bowler Larry McCarren (analyst) and three-time Packers Pro Bowler and two-time All-Pro John Kuhn (sideline) will call the action. McCarren first joined the team's broadcasts in 1995 and enters his 25th season calling Packers games. After originally being paired together in 1999, McCarren and Larrivee enter their 21st season of broadcasts together. They surpassed Jim Irwin and Max McGee for the most regular-season and postseason games broadcast for the Packers with 313 at the 2018 season opener against Chicago.
- The broadcast is also available on Sirius Satellite Radio (WTMJ feed).
- DIRECTV subscribers can watch the game on Channel 714.
THE DOPE ON THIS WEEK'S OPPONENT:
Packers vs. Lions:
- All-time, regular season: 99-72-7
- All-time, postseason: 2-0
- All-time, at Ford Field: 10-7
- Streaks: Green Bay is 9-3 in December matchups verses Detroit since 2000.
- Last meeting, regular season: Oct. 20, 2019; Lambeau Field, Packers won, 23-22
- Matt LaFleur: 12-3, .800; 1st NFL season
- Matt Patricia: 9-21-1, .306; 2nd NFL season
- Head to Head: LaFleur 1-0 vs. Patricia
- vs. Opponent: LaFleur 1-0 vs. Lions; Patricia 2-1 vs. Packers
MATT LAFLEUR…In his first season as the Packers' 15th head coach.
- In his 11th season in the NFL, having served as an offensive coordinator for two seasons (Los Angeles Rams, 2017; Tennessee Titans, 2018), a quarterbacks coach for six seasons (Washington Redskins, 2010-13; Atlanta Falcons, 2015-16), and an offensive assistant for two seasons (Houston Texans, 2008-09).
- Guided the Titans' offense in 2018 to a No. 7 league ranking in rushing (126.4 ypg) as Tennessee registered 11 games with 100-plus rushing yards, tied for No. 2 in the NFL.
- Helped the Rams lead the league in scoring with an average of 29.9 points per game in 2017, more than doubling their average from 2016 (14.0 ppg).
- Tutored QB Matt Ryan, who led the league in passer rating (117.1) in 2016 on his way to being named NFL Most Valuable Player by The Associated Press.
- Coached rookie QB Robert Griffin III with the Redskins in 2012, who became the first QB in team history to win AP Offensive Rookie of the Year.
MATT PATRICIA…In his second year as the Lions' 27th head coach.
- His first season as head coach featured an improvement in the running game, highlighted by rookie RB Kerryon Johnson, who produced two 100-yard rushing performances and three touchdowns.
- Served on the New England Patriots' coaching staff from 2004-17, including six years (2012-17) as defensive coordinator.
- Helped lead the Patriots to three Super Bowl championships (XXXIX, XLIX, LI), six AFC championships and 13 AFC East division titles.
- From 2012-17, led a Patriots defense that ranked third in points allowed (19.2), fourth in games allowing 20 points or fewer (53) and second in games allowing 17 points or fewer (47).
THE PACKERS-LIONS SERIES
- The Week 17 victory in 2016 gave the Packers their 100th win (including playoffs) against the Lions franchise. Green Bay's 101 victories against Detroit are the club's most against any one opponent.
- A Green Bay victory on Sunday would mark the 100th regular-season victory for the Packers over the Lions.
- Green Bay won 29 of the first 38 matchups in the series before the Lions reeled off 11 straight wins over a six-year span (1949-54).
- The teams have met twice in the postseason, with the first playoff matchup in the Wild Card round of the 1993 season. That game saw QB Brett Favre find WR Sterling Sharpe for a game-winning 40-yard score with less than a minute to go, marking the first playoff win for the Packers in more than 10 years.
Packers head coach Matt LaFleur is from Mount Pleasant, Mich., and played quarterback at Saginaw Valley State (2000-02). LaFleur later became an offensive assistant at his alma mater (2003), and then a graduate assistant at Central Michigan (2004-05) and quarterbacks/wide receivers coach at Northern Michigan (2006)...Packers LB Rashan Gary played three years at Michigan (2016-18)...Packers T Jared Veldheer is from Grand Rapids, Mich., and played collegiately at Hillsdale...Packers offensive line coach Adam Stenavich played collegiately at Michigan (2002-05), and later was a strength and conditioning intern (2011) and a graduate assistant (2012-13) for the Wolverines...Packers quarterbacks coach Luke Getsy was the wide receivers coach at Western Michigan in 2013...Packers offensive quality control coach Kevin Koger played at Michigan (2008-11) and later became a graduate assistant for the Wolverines (2013-14)...Packers chief of staff Darryl Franklin spent three years as a graduate assistant at Central Michigan University. Additionally, Franklin was a player personnel intern with the Lions in 2008...Green Bay TE Robert Tonyan signed with Detroit as an undrafted free agent in 2017 and spent his first offseason with the Lions...Detroit T Rick Wagner is from West Allis, Wis., and was a team captain for the Wisconsin Badgers, starting 37 games during his college career…Lions G Beau Benzschawel is from Grafton, Wis., and made 49 consecutive starts for the Wisconsin Badgers…Lions offensive coordinator Darren Bevell spent six seasons on the Green Bay coaching staff, serving as offensive assistant/quality control coach (2000-01), offensive assistant (2002) and quarterbacks coach (2003-05)…Bevell played quarterback at Wisconsin, where he set 19 school records, and helped lead the Badgers to their first Rose Bowl victory…Lions special teams coordinator John Bonamego served in the same role in Green Bay for three seasons (2003-05)…Lions head equipment manager Tim O'Neil spent six seasons as an equipment assistant in Green Bay (1995-2000)…Lions national scout Mark Olson is from Hudson, Wis., and attended the University of Wisconsin-River Falls…Packers defensive line coach Jerry Montgomery served in the same role at Michigan from 2011-12...Green Bay running backs coach Ben Sirmans coached at Michigan State for two seasons (2005-06)...Detroit defensive backs coach Brian Stewart coached in Houston while Packers secondary coach Jason Simmons played for the Texans (2002-03)...Lions DT Damon Harrison signed as a rookie free agent with the N.Y. Jets in 2012 when Packers defensive coordinator Mike Pettine and outside linebackers coach Mike Smith were on the staff…Harrison, Lions LB Devon Kennard, DE Romeo Okwara and Packers LB B.J. Goodson played together for two seasons with the N.Y. Giants (2016-17)…Detroit wide receivers coach Robert Prince and strength and power coordinator Josh Schuler worked on the Colorado coaching staff while Packers T David Bakhtiari was playing for the Buffaloes...Packers offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett and Lions head coach assistant/research and analysis Evan Rothstein worked together on the Syracuse staff for two seasons (2010-11)…Lions LS Don Muhlbach signed as a rookie free agent with Baltimore when Pettine was a defensive assistant…Packers director of player engagement Grey Ruegamer and Lions area scout Roman Phifer were teammates on the New England Patriots (2001-02)…Lions tight ends coach Chris White was the running backs/special teams coordinator when Packers CB Josh Jackson played for the Hawkeyes…Packers LB Za'Darius Smith played in Baltimore with Lions CB Rashaan Melvin in 2015...Lions offensive line coach Jeff Davidson was Turner's position coach for the 2017 season in Denver…Green Bay QB Tim Boyle was a freshman at Connecticut when Lions defensive coordinator Paul Pasqualoni was the head coach...Packers TE Jimmy Graham played with Lions OL Oday Aboushi (2017) and RB J.D. McKissic (2016-17) in Seattle…McKissic signed as a rookie free agent with Atlanta when LaFleur was the quarterbacks coach. Additionally, Packers tight ends coach Justin Outten was an offensive intern during this time…Packers S Adrian Amos played with Lions LB Christian Jones (2015-18) in Chicago…Former college teammates include: P JK Scott, CB Tony Brown, Lions DL Da'Shawn Hand, Lions DT A'Shawn Robinson and RB Bo Scarbrough (Alabama); Packers WR Davante Adams and Lions G Kenny Wiggins (Fresno State); Packers S Darnell Savage and Lions RB Ty Johnson (Maryland); Packers C Corey Linsley and Lions T Taylor Decker (Ohio State), Packers S Adrian Amos, LB Jason Cabinda and Lions TE Jesse James (Penn State); Packers DL Kenny Clark and Lions G Caleb Benenoch (UCLA); Packers CB Kevin King and Lions WR Marvin Hall (Washington).