The Green Bay Packers and American Family Insurance Sunday presented checks totaling more than $1 million to 12 Wisconsin organizations for breast cancer research, education and treatment.
The million-dollar contribution was made possible through the sale of pink breast cancer caps with the Packers and American Family logos. Five dollars from every cap sold went into the breast cancer fund. The caps were sold through the Packer Pro Shop and American Family agent offices in Wisconsin.
"The success of this campaign was simply overwhelming," said Packers President Bob Harlan. "Together with American Family Insurance and its agents around the state, we sold 210,000 pink Packer caps, generating $1,050,000 for the fight against breast cancer."
"The spirit behind the pink caps has been great to experience," added Packers Executive Vice President/COO John Jones. "The sight of so many caps and the stories of people supporting the campaign have been an inspiration to everyone involved."
Harlan and Jones joined American Family executive vice president Jack Salzwedel to present the checks to the dozen organizations prior to the Packers-Seattle game.
"American Family has a long tradition of contributing to the community through charitable contributions and volunteerism. But as this campaign progressed, it became clear this one truly connected with people's experiences and emotions. Breast cancer is a disease that touches nearly every family in some way," Salzwedel said.
The campaign kicked off in July with a press conference at Lambeau Field featuring Deanna Favre, whose breast cancer diagnosis received national attention, and 15 breast cancer survivors from American Family. They announced the campaign's slogan: Faith. Love. Hope.
The organizations receiving contributions in equal amounts of $87,500 were:
- After Breast Cancer Diagnosis (ABCD), Milwaukee
- Breast Cancer Recovery Foundation, Inc., Madison
- Froedtert Hospital & Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee
- Green Bay YWCA Encore Program, Green Bay
- Gundersen Lutheran: Norma J. Vinger Center for Breast Care, La Crosse
- Marshfield Clinic, Marshfield
- Ribbon of Hope Foundation, De Pere
- St. Mary's Hospital: A Woman's Place, Green Bay
- St. Vincent Hospital Regional Cancer Center, Green Bay
- UW Comprehensive Cancer Treatment Center, Madison
- Wisconsin Well Woman Program, Madison
- Deanna Favre Hope Foundation, Green Bay and Hattiesburg, Miss.