PACKERS STAY HOME TO PLAY THE RAIDERS
The Green Bay Packers will take on the Oakland Raiders this Thursday at Lambeau Field in the Bishop's Charities Game.
- The Packers and Raiders will face each other for the 10th time in the preseason. The Raiders lead the preseason series, 5-4, while Green Bay leads the regular-season series, 7-5.
- This will be the third consecutive year the Packers and Raiders play each other. In 2015 they faced off during the regular season, with the Packers winning, 30-20, at Oakland, and in 2014 they played during the preseason, with Green Bay winning, 31-21, at Lambeau Field.
- This will be the last Green Bay home game for more than a month. The Packers will play four consecutive road games (two preseason, two regular season) before hosting the Detroit Lions on Sept. 25. Dating back to 1970, this is the first time Green Bay has closed the preseason as the away team in the final two games and opened the regular season on the road in the first two games.
- The Packers return to the road for their next game, traveling to Santa Clara to take on the San Francisco 49ers.
BISHOP'S CHARITIES GAME
Thursday night marks another Green Bay preseason tradition: the Bishop's Charities Game. It was first played in 1961 after Vince Lombardi was approached by the Diocese of Green Bay about playing a charitable contest in Green Bay (the Shrine contest was a fixture in Milwaukee).
- The series enjoys its 56th contest this year and has raised more than $3.7 million.
- For more than 30 years, the church handled much of the game's business-related tasks, including game-program and advertising sales, using a network of volunteers covering 14 counties throughout northeastern Wisconsin. The Packers assumed many of those tasks beginning in 1994.
- The Packers are 30-24-1 all-time in the series. The Raiders will be making their first appearance in the Bishop's Charities Game.
- Green Bay has won six of the last seven games in the series, including a 38-10 victory over the New Orleans Saints last year. Prior to that, the Packers had lost six consecutive Bishop's Charities contests. That six-game losing streak (2003-08) came on the heels of a 12-game winning streak (1991-2002) in the series.
- Over the last two Bishop's Charities Games, the Packers have outscored their opponents, 72-24.
WITH THE CALL
Preseason games are televised over the 16-station Packers TV Network throughout the state of Wisconsin, Upper Michigan, northeastern Minnesota, the Quad Cities, Des Moines, Cedar Rapids and Waterloo in Iowa, Omaha in Nebraska, Anchorage, Fairbanks and Juneau in Alaska and Honolulu in Hawaii.
- The top-notch broadcast team includes CBS's Kevin Harlan (play-by-play) alongside fellow CBS broadcaster Rich Gannon (analyst), with Lance Allan of WTMJ-TV serving as the sideline reporter. Allan will also host an informative half-hour pregame show featuring former Packers tackle Mark Tauscher.
- Due to the Olympics, this week's game will air on WMLW-TV in Milwaukee instead of WTMJ-TV and on WACY-TV in Green Bay instead of WGBA-TV. In addition the game will be televised over WKOW/ABC, Madison, Wis.; WAOW/ABC, Wausau/Rhinelander, Wis.; WXOW/ABC, La Crosse, Wis.; WQOW/ABC, Eau Claire, Wis.; WLUC/NBC, Escanaba/Marquette, Mich.; KQDS-TV/FOX, Duluth/Superior, Minn.; WHBF-TV/CBS, Davenport, Iowa (Quad Cities); KWWL-TV/NBC, Cedar Rapids/Waterloo, Iowa; KCWI-TV/CW, Des Moines, Iowa; KMTV-TV/CBS, Omaha, Neb.; KYUR/ABC, Anchorage, Alaska; KATN/ABC, Fairbanks, Alaska; KJUD/ABC, Juneau, Alaska; and KFVE-TV in Honolulu, Hawaii.
- Milwaukee's WTMJ (620 AM), airing Green Bay games since November 1929, heads up the Packers Radio Network that is made up of 50 stations in five states. Wayne Larrivee(play-by-play) and two-time Packers Pro BowlerLarry McCarren (analyst) call the action. McCarren first joined the team's broadcasts in 1995 and enters his 22nd season calling Packers games. After originally being paired together in 1999, McCarren and Larrivee enter their 18th season of broadcasts together.
THE DOPE ON THIS WEEK'S OPPONENT:
Packers vs. Raiders:
All-time, Preseason: 4-5-0
All-time, Regular season: 7-5-0
All-time, Postseason: 1-0
Streaks: The Packers have won the last seven regular season matchups.
Last meeting, regular season: Dec. 20, 2015; Packers won, 30-20, O.co Coliseum
Mike McCarthy: 112-62-1, .643 (incl. 8-7 postseason); 11th NFL season
Jack Del Rio:76-82-0, .481 (incl. 1-2 postseason); 11th NFL season
Head to Head:Tied 1-1
vs. Opponent:McCarthy 3-0 vs. Raiders; Del Rio 1-1 vs. Packers
MIKE McCARTHY**…Is in his 11th year as the Packers' 14th head coach.
- Joined Vince Lombardi and Mike Holmgren as the only coaches to guide the Packers to a Super Bowl title with a win over Pittsburgh in Super Bowl XLV.
- Led the Packers to their seventh consecutive playoff appearance last season, joining New England as the only two NFL teams to do so over that span. Has also led the team to eight playoff appearances in the last nine years (2007, 2009-15).
- Guided the Packers to top-10 finishes in scoring in eight straight seasons (2007-14), joining the Patriots as the only other team to accomplish the feat over that time; Packers finished first overall in scoring in 2014.
- His .653 winning percentage during the regular season (94-55-1) ranks No. 2 among active NFL head coaches (min. 50 games).
- Was named Packers head coach on Jan. 12, 2006, his first head-coaching job after 13 years as an NFL assistant.
JACK DEL RIO…Is in his second year as the Raiders' 18th head coach.
- Engineered the sixth-best rushing defense in the NFL over eight-plus seasons as Jacksonville's head coach (105.6 yards allowed/game).
- Guided the Jaguars to just the fourth divisional round playoff game in team history in 2007.
- Coordinated the No. 3 total defense in the NFL during his three-year tenure as Denver's defensive coordinator (317.3 yards allowed/game).
- Coached a defense that held opponents to the third-lowest third-down percentage (35.1 percent) while in Denver.
THE PACKERS-RAIDERS REGULAR-SEASON SERIES
- The Packers and Raiders first met in Miami in Super Bowl II with Green Bay winning, 33-14, to secure back-to-back Super Bowls. The Packers led wire-to-wire behind a defense that forced three turnovers, including a 60-yard interception return for a score.
- After Super Bowl II, the Raiders rattled off five straight wins (two of which were as the Los Angeles Raiders) with an average margin of victory of 15.2 points.
- In Los Angeles in 1990, the Packers started their current streak against the Raiders with a 29-16 win, holding Raiders RBs Marcus Allen and Bo Jackson to a combined 42 rushing yards on 15 carries (2.8 avg.).
- In seven straight Green Bay victories, the Packers have averaged 34.3 points and have not scored less than 28 in any Raiders matchup. They have outscored the Raiders, 240-90, in those matchups.
Green Bay associate head coach/linebackers Winston Moss played for the Raiders for four years (1991-94) when the team was in Los Angeles...Oakland general manager Reggie McKenzie spent time in Green Bay as a pro personnel assistant (1994-96), director of pro personnel (1997-2007) and director of football operations (2008-11)...Raiders director-college scouting Shaun Herock spent 19 years (1993-2012) with the Packers...Packers T David Bakhtiari is from San Mateo, Calif. ...Packers QB Aaron Rodgers, TE Richard Rodgers and WR Trevor Davis attended California...Aaron Rodgers grew up in Chico, Calif., and Davis is from Martinez, Calif. ...Packers LB Blake Martinez, WR Ty Montgomery and T Kyle Murphy all attended Stanford...Green Bay WR Davante Adams is a native of Palo Alto, Calif., and went to Fresno State with Raiders QB Derek Carr from 2012-13...Packers CB Robertson Daniel was born in San Jose, Calif. ...Oakland assistant linebackers coach Brent Vieselmeyer is from Wautoma, Wis., and played LB at Concordia in Mequon, Wis. ...Oakland K Giorgio Tavecchio spent the 2013 offseason and training camp with the Packers...Green Bay defensive coordinator Dom Capers coached in Carolina (1995-98) and New England (2008) with Raiders special teams coordinator Brad Seely...Capers (1992-94) and Packers special teams coordinator Ron Zook (1996) coached Raiders assistant defensive backs coach Rod Woodson in Pittsburgh...Green Bay secondary-safeties coach Darren Perry coached in Oakland from 2007-08 and was teammates with Woodson in Pittsburgh from 1992-96...Oakland defensive line coach Jethro Franklin held the same position in Green Bay for five seasons (2000-04)...Packers head coach Mike McCarthy worked with Oakland linebackers coach Sal Sunseri at Pittsburgh for four years (1989-92)...Packers LB Julius Peppers was coached his first seven seasons (2002-08) by Sunseri in Carolina...Raiders head coach Jack Del Rio was the Panthers' defensive coordinator in 2002, coaching Peppers to NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year honors...Green Bay defensive line Coach Mike Trgovac was on Del Rio's staff in Carolina in 2002...Packers associate head coach/offense Tom Clements coached with Del Rio in New Orleans from 1997-98...Trgovac also worked with Sunseri in Carolina from 2002-08...Trgovac was colleagues with Oakland offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave in Philadelphia for the 1998 season...Musgrave and Packers secondary-cornerbacks coach Joe Whitt Jr. both worked in Atlanta in 2007...Packers senior personnel executive Alonzo Highsmith played in Dallas with Del Rio from 1990-91...Highsmith also was teammates with Oakland defensive assistant Sam Anno in Tampa Bay for one season (1991)...Anno coached Packers LB Clay Matthews at Southern California from 2005-06...Matthews (2005-08) and Green Bay LB Nick Perry (2009) were coached by Raiders defensive coordinator Ken Norton Jr. at Southern California...Oakland LB Malcolm Smith played alongside Matthews (2007-08) and Perry (2009-10) with the Trojans...Del Rio coached Green Bay LB Lerenteé McCray in Denver in 2014...Raiders LBs Daren Bates (2013-15) and Korey Toomer (2014) played for the Rams with Packers TE Jared Cook...Raiders quality control-offense Nick Holz held field goals and PATs for Packers K Mason Crosby at Colorado for three seasons (2004-06)...Sunseri coached Green Bay RB Eddie Lacy at Alabama from 2010-11 when he was an assistant head coach...Packers S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (2012-13) and Lacy (2012) were Alabama teammates with Raiders WR Amari Cooper...Packers DT Letroy Guion played at Florida State in 2007 with Raiders C Rodney Hudson...Oakland LB Bruce Irvin spent two seasons at West Virginia with Green Bay T/G Don Barclay.
LAST MEETING, REGULAR SEASON
Dec. 20, 2015, O.co Coliseum, Packers won, 30-20
- Rookie CB Damarious Randall had his first career interception return for a touchdown in the first quarter to take a 14-0 lead.
- Former Raiders WR James Jones caught a 30-yard scoring pass from QB Aaron Rodgers to take the lead for good late in the third quarter.
- LB Julius Peppers led the defense with 2.5 sacks, his most since 2012.
- Rookie WR Amari Cooper had game highs with six receptions for 120 yards (20.0 avg.) and two TDs.