PACKERS TRAVEL WEST TO PLAY THE 49ERS
The Green Bay Packers will travel to Santa Clara to take on the San Francisco 49ers at Levi's Stadium in the first preseason meeting between the two teams since 2008.
- It will be the Packers' second time playing in Levi's Stadium after a 17-3 win in Week 4 of the regular season last year. Green Bay leads the all-time regular-season series against the 49ers, 31-27-1, and is 4-3 vs. San Francisco in the postseason.
- Green Bay has played the 49ers eight times since 2008, with five matchups coming during the regular season, two in the postseason and one during the preseason.
- The Packers and 49ers have met four times during the preseason, with Green Bay's only win coming at San Francisco in 1959 (24-17).
- The first preseason matchup between the two teams took place in Minneapolis in 1951.
- Dating back to 1970, the Packers have played a preseason game in the state of California nine times, with their last trip taking place in 2012 when Green Bay traveled to San Diego. Of those nine, the Packers only won twice, with both wins coming against the Oakland Raiders, 37-24 in 1997 and 37-7 in 1970.
- Green Bay is 2-0 in the preseason for the first time since 2009, when it started 3-0.
- Friday marks the first of four consecutive road games (two preseason, two regular season) before hosting the Detroit Lions on Sept. 25. This is the first time Green Bay has closed the preseason as the away team in the final two games and opened the regular season on the road in the first two games.
- The Packers will finish the preseason against the Kansas City Chiefs at Arrowhead Stadium on Thursday, Sept. 1.
WITH THE CALL
Flagshipped by Milwaukee's WTMJ-TV and in conjunction with WGBA-TV in Green Bay, the game will be televised over the 16-station Packers TV Network throughout the state of Wisconsin, Upper Michigan, northeastern Minnesota, the Quad Cities, Des Moines, Cedar Rapids and Waterloo in Iowa, Omaha in Nebraska, Anchorage, Fairbanks and Juneau in Alaska and Honolulu in Hawaii.
- The top-notch broadcast team includes CBS's Kevin Harlan (play-by-play) alongside fellow CBS broadcaster Rich Gannon (analyst), with Lance Allan of WTMJ-TV serving as the sideline reporter. Allan will also host an informative half-hour pregame show featuring former Packers tackle Mark Tauscher.
- In addition to WTMJ-TV (Milwaukee) and WGBA-TV (Green Bay), preseason games will be televised over WKOW/ABC, Madison, Wis.; WAOW/ABC, Wausau/Rhinelander, Wis.; WXOW/ABC, La Crosse, Wis.; WQOW/ABC, Eau Claire, Wis.; WLUC/NBC, Escanaba/Marquette, Mich.; KQDS-TV/FOX, Duluth/Superior, Minn.; WHBF-TV/CBS, Davenport, Iowa (Quad Cities); KWWL-TV/NBC, Cedar Rapids/Waterloo, Iowa; KCWI-TV/CW, Des Moines, Iowa; KMTV-TV/CBS, Omaha, Neb.; KYUR/ABC, Anchorage, Alaska; KATN/ABC, Fairbanks, Alaska; KJUD/ABC, Juneau, Alaska; and KFVE-TV in Honolulu, Hawaii.
- In its fifth season, in conjunction with the Packers TV Network, Telemundo Wisconsin (WYTU-TV in Milwaukee, WACY-TV/My32 in Green Bay/Appleton and on Time Warner Cable, Dish, U-verse and Charter Cable in Wisconsin will broadcast the final two preseason games with Kevin Holden(play-by-play) and Epigmenio (Epi) Guerrero (analyst) calling the action.
- Milwaukee's WTMJ (620 AM), airing Green Bay games since November 1929, heads up the Packers Radio Network that is made up of 50 stations in five states. Wayne Larrivee(play-by-play) and two-time Packers Pro BowlerLarry McCarren (analyst) call the action. McCarren first joined the team's broadcasts in 1995 and enters his 22nd season calling Packers games. After originally being paired together in 1999, McCarren
THE DOPE ON THIS WEEK'S OPPONENT:
Packers vs. 49ers:
All-time, Preseason: 1-3-0
All-time, Regular season: 31-27-1
All-time, Postseason: 4-3
Streaks: The Packers have won 11 of the past 14 regular-season contests, with the only losses coming in 1990, 2012 and 2013.
Last meeting, regular season: Oct. 4, 2015; Packers won, 17-3, Levi's Stadium
Mike McCarthy: 112-62-1, .643 (incl. 8-7 postseason); 11th NFL season
Chip Kelly: 26-22-0, .542 (incl. 0-1 postseason); 4th NFL season
Head to Head: Tied 1-1
vs. Opponent: McCarthy 4-2 vs. Eagles; Kelly 1-1 vs. Packers
MIKE McCARTHY…Is in his 11th year as the Packers' 14th head coach.
- Joined Vince Lombardi and Mike Holmgren as the only coaches to guide the Packers to a Super Bowl title with a win over Pittsburgh in Super Bowl XLV.
- Led the Packers to their seventh consecutive playoff appearance last season, joining New England as the only two NFL teams to do so over that span. Has also led the team to eight playoff appearances in the last nine years (2007, 2009-15).
- Guided the Packers to top-10 finishes in scoring in eight straight seasons (2007-14), joining the Patriots as the only other team to accomplish the feat over that time; Packers finished first overall in scoring in 2014.
- His .653 winning percentage during the regular season (94-55-1) ranks No. 2 among active NFL head coaches (min. 50 games).
- Was named Packers head coach on Jan. 12, 2006, his first head-coaching job after 13 years as an NFL assistant.
CHIP KELLY…Is in his first year as the 49ers' 18th head coach.
- In 2013, led the Eagles to their first division crown since 2010.
- Is one of only four current head coaches to lead a team to a division crown in his first season as a head coach at the NFL level.
- Implemented a high-scoring offense which tied for No. 3 in the NFL in points per game (26.8) and TDs per game (3.13) during his two-plus seasons in Philadelphia.
- Coached RB LeSean McCoy to 11 100-yard efforts, the second most during the 2013-14 seasons behind only DeMarco Murray (15).
- Was hired after San Francisco had its worst season since 2007 and missed the playoffs for the second consecutive year.
THE PACKERS-49ERS REGULAR-SEASON SERIES
- San Francisco won 13 of 15 games between 1950-95, while the Packers won 10 of 11 games between 1959-64 and 1989-2010.
- In three of the seven playoff matchups, the winner went on to appear in the Super Bowl with Green Bay winning Super Bowl XXXI and appearing in Super Bowl XXXII, while the 49ers played in Super Bowl XLVII.
- During a nine-game regular-season win streak from 1996-2012, the Packers averaged 27.1 points per game and forced 13 turnovers.
- Green Bay has not scored less than 12 points against the 49ers since 1981.
- Last season's matchup saw San Francisco score three points, the fewest scored by the 49ers against the Packers since a 20-3 victory by Green Bay in 1999.
Packers head coach Mike McCarthy was San Francisco's offensive coordinator in 2005...Green Bay defensive quality control coach Ejiro Evero spent five seasons (2011-15) with the 49ers...49ers RB DuJuan Harris played in Green Bay for two seasons (2012, `14) while spending 2013 on injured reserve...49ers DL B.J. McBryde spent the end of 2015 on Green Bay's practice squad and was with the Packers through the offseason program...49ers G Andrew Tiller spent time on the Green Bay's practice squad in 2013...Packers QB Aaron Rodgers, TE Richard Rodgers and WR Trevor Davis attended California...Aaron Rodgers grew up in Chico, Calif., and Davis is from Martinez, Calif. ...Packers LB Blake Martinez and T Kyle Murphy attended Stanford with San Francisco WR Devon Cajuste (2012-15), G Joshua Garnett (2012-15) and Shayne Skov (2012-13)...Packers WR Ty Montgomery also went to Stanford with Cajuste (2012-14), Garnett (2012-14) and Skov (2012-13)...Green Bay WR Davante Adams is from Palo Alto, Calif...49ers LB Nick Bellore is from Whitefish Bay, Wis. ...49ers CB Marcus Cromartie played at Wisconsin from 2010-12 and was teammates with Packers WR Jared Abbrederis...Packers CB Robertson Daniel was born in San Jose, Calif. ...Packers T David Bakhtiari is from San Mateo, Calif., and offensive line coach James Campen is from Sacramento, Calif. ...Packers President & CEO Mark Murphy was the athletic director at Northwestern while San Francisco defensive coordinator Jim O'Neil was a graduate assistant/defensive backs coach for the Wildcats from 2003-04...49ers quality control coach Tem Lukabu played at Colgate from 2000-02 when Murphy was the athletic director...Packers tight ends coach Brian Angelichio coached with O'Neil in Cleveland from 2014-15 and 49ers special projects Kevin O'Connell in 2015...Angelichio also coached with San Francisco defensive backs coach Jeff Hafley in Pittsburgh (2006-10), Tampa Bay (2012-13), Cleveland (2014-15) and at Rutgers (2011)...Lukabu and Angelichio coached in Tampa Bay (2012-13) and at Rutgers (2011)...O'Neil was on the coaching staff at Eastern Michigan when Packers G T.J. Lang played there...San Francisco special assistant to head coach Bill Nayes worked for the Seahawks as a football operations coordinator/team travel from 2000-04 when Packers executive vice president, general manager & director of football operations Ted Thompson was Seattle's vice president of football operations...Nayes graduated from Wisconsin in 1994, spent five seasons (1995-99) in football operations for the Packers as an intern and administrative assistant and later worked as the Badgers' assistant athletic director/director of football operations from 2006-09...49ers running backs coach Tom Rathman and Green Bay secondary-safeties coach Darren Perry coached together in Oakland from 2007-08...Rathman played for the Los Angeles Raiders in 1994 with Packers associate head coach/linebackers Winston Moss...Green Bay LB Julius Peppers played in Chicago in 2014 with San Francisco RB Shaun Draughn...49ers assistant offensive line coach Eric Wolford was on the staff of Green Bay special teams coordinator Ron Zook at Illinois from 2007-08...Packers C Corey Linsley blocked for 49ers RB Carlos Hyde at Ohio State for four seasons (2010-13), helping Hyde rush for 2,491 yards and 31 TDs in his final two years...Green Bay running backs coach Ben Sirmans coached with 49ers quarterbacks coach Ryan Day at Boston College (2007-11) and defensive line coach Jerry Azzinaro at Maine (1998)...49ers inside linebackers coach Joe Bowden and Sirmans spent four seasons (2012-15) together with the Rams...Packers RB Eddie Lacy (2012) and S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (2012-13) played at Alabama with 49ers DT Quinton Dial and DL Darren Lake...Packers DT Letroy Guion played at Florida State and with the Minnesota Vikings with 49ers QB Christian Ponder.
LAST MEETING, REGULAR SEASON
Oct. 4, 2015, Levi's Stadium, Packers won, 17-3
- QB Aaron Rodgers completed 22 of 32 passes (68.8 percent) for 224 yards and a TD (99.0 passer rating).
- TE Richard Rodgers and WRs James Jones and Randall Cobb each had five receptions. Rodgers had the go-ahead score on the opening drive.
- CB Sam Shields intercepted 49ers QB Colin Kaepernick deep in Green Bay territory in the fourth quarter to maintain control of the game.