Skip to main content

Redskins lead Packers at halftime, 13-10

Washington scores in final minute of half


LANDOVER, Md. – Some fourth-down gambles helped the Packers score 10 points in the second quarter, but the Redskins scored a TD in the final minute of the first half to take a 13-10 lead into halftime on Sunday night at FedExField.

The first big play of the second quarter came on fourth-and-7 from the Washington 38. The Packers decided to go for it, threw incomplete, but caught a break. Redskins CB Bashaud Breeland was called for illegal hands to the face, giving the Packers a first down.

Three plays later, the Packers went for it again on fourth down, needing 2 yards from the Washington 25. QB Aaron Rodgers scrambled for 7 yards for a first down in the red zone. A 9-yard pass to TE Jared Cook on a screen made it first-and-goal from the 6, but on the next play, Cook wasn't looking and the pass bounced off him wide open at the goal line.

On third-and-goal from the 3, Rodgers threw a TD pass to WR Ty Montgomery, but RG Don Barclay was called for holding. Rodgers then connected with WR Jordy Nelson on a 13-yard TD on the next snap, despite a roughing-the-passer penalty on Redskins S Su'a Cravens. The penalty was assessed on the kickoff, and the Packers had tied the score at 7 with 9:27 left in the half.

The full drive was 17 plays covering 75 yards and consuming 8:29.

The Packers' defense then got a three-and-out, with LB Julius Peppers deflecting a third-down screen pass at the line of scrimmage. WR Randall Cobb returned the punt 9 yards, giving the Packers the ball on their own 44. Packers CB Demetri Goodson was down on the field after the punt and needed to be carted off. It was announced he had a knee injury and was out for the game.

The Packers got going on a 7-yard run by RB James Starks and a 15-yard pass to Cobb over the middle on third down. Starks then took a short pass 5 yards, and Redskins CB Josh Norman was called for delay of game after the play, giving the Packers a first down on the Washington 24.

An 11-yard pass to TE Richard Rodgers was good for another first down, but Barclay was called for holding on the next snap, moving the Packers back to the 23. QB Rodgers scrambled 17 yards to make it second-and-3 from the 6, but Starks lost 2 yards on a run and Rodgers was sacked on third down by LB Ryan Kerrigan. K Mason Crosby came on to make a 36-yard field goal, giving the Packers a 10-7 lead with 3:37 left in the half.

The Redskins came right back, as TE Jordan Reed broke free on third down for a 26-yard completion across midfield. Reed caught two more passes, gaining 18 yards on the second one when he juked LB Joe Thomas in the open field to get the Redskins in the red zone.

Two plays later, RB Rob Kelley ran up the middle for a 10-yard TD, giving the Redskins the lead back with 39 seconds left in the half. The Packers stopped RB Chris Thompson on a run for a 2-point try, so Washington led 13-10.

This article has been reproduced in a new format and may be missing content or contain faulty links. Please use the Contact Us link in our site footer to report an issue.

Related Content