Skip to main content

AP Story: Packers Fall To Chiefs 9-0 In Lightning-Shortened Game


Priest Holmes looked fine in a brief appearance, and so did Brett Favre as the Kansas City Chiefs beat the Green Bay Packers 9-0 in the Pro Football Hall of Fame game, shortened Monday night by lightning and torrential rain.

The exhibition opener for both teams also had a sobering moment when Chiefs offensive tackle Willie Jones sustained a head injury late in the second quarter.

A Chiefs spokesman said Jones sustained a head trauma and was being evaluated at Aultman Hospital.

Kansas City had just taken a 9-0 lead on a 27-yard field goal by Jose Cortez with 5:55 left in the third quarter when several lightning bolts hit near Fawcett Stadium.

Play was halted for nearly one-half hour before NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue decided to cancel the remainder of the game with 5:49 remaining in the third.

Both teams have been involved in similar weather-related exhibition cancellations.

In 1996, the Chiefs had a 14-10 win over Chicago shortened by second-half lightning.

At the Hall of Fame game in 1980, the Packers and San Diego Chargers were tied 0-0 with 5:29 left when then-commissioner Pete Rozelle called it because of lightning.

Morten Andersen, the second-leading scorer in NFL history, kicked two field goals for the Chiefs on Monday.

Holmes ran for 15 yards on five carries in his biggest test since sustaining a season-ending injury to his right hip in December.

Favre was on the field for just two series. He went 4-of-6 for 54 yards, but couldn't get Green Bay's offense - missing four starters with injuries - rolling.

Holmes, who led the league with 1,555 yards in 2001, was well on his way to rushing for 2,000 yards last season when he injured his hip in Kansas City's Dec. 15 loss at Denver.

In March, he had surgery to remove loose tissue and fragments from his right hip, and last week, he reported no problems following a scrimmage against Minnesota.

On Kansas City's first play, Holmes picked up three yards. Three plays later, he slithered for five, his longest run, after making two cuts while picking his way through the line of scrimmage.

Holmes was relieved to take a few hits on his hip and be able to get up walk away.

"Some of those hits I've already taken in camp,'' he said. "It was just a matter of getting in there and having more guys land on me. As far as taking hits, I'll be taking plenty more this season.''

Anderson, who began his career in 1982 before some NFL rookies were born, put the Chiefs up 6-0 with a 51-yard kick with one minute left in the first half.

Anderson's 32-yard field goal with 8:19 left in the first quarter put the Chiefs ahead 3-0.

Packers rookie defensive lineman Kenny Peterson made his first big play as a pro on just his third play, and he did it on his high school field.

Peterson, who led Canton McKinley to a state title as a senior, recovered Kansas City backup quarterback Todd Collins' fumble. After pouncing on the ball at the Chiefs' 39, Peterson got a huge ovation from his hometown crowd.

Kansas City quarterback Trent Green finished 3-of-7 for 39 yards while playing two series.

Notes: Packers TE Tyrone Davis twisted his left knee in the second quarter and did not return. ... Sideline reporter Lisa Guerrero made her "Monday Night Football'' debut. In between her reports, Guerrero's boyfriend, injured Baltimore Orioles pitcher Scott Erickson, held her microphone. ... Class of 2003 Hall of Famer Marcus Allen spent the first half on Kansas City's sideline. He played five seasons with the Chiefs.

This article has been reproduced in a new format and may be missing content or contain faulty links. Please use the Contact Us link in our site footer to report an issue.

Related Content