Skip to main content

AP Story: Packers Lose OT Thriller At Home, 40-34


For once, the Kansas City Chiefs ' wild finish didn't involve Dante Hall.

Even with their star kick returner being kept out of the end zone for the first time in a month, the Chiefs overcame a 17-point fourth-quarter deficit to force overtime, then came out on top after a crazy closing sequence to beat the Packers 40-34 at Lambeau Field.

Here were the final three plays of the game, one right after the other:

-Cletidus Hunt blocked Morten Andersen 's 48-yard field goal attempt with 9:09 left in OT to give the Packers (3-3) possession at their 39 and the wind at their back.

-On first down, Packers running back Ahman Green -- who ran 26 times for 139 yards -- fumbled the ball, and Kansas City recovered.

-Chiefs quarterback Trent Green threw a 51-yard touchdown pass to Eddie Kennison with 8:42 left in the extra period.

Simple as that, Kansas City improved to 6-0.

"First off, it doesn't tell me anything I didn't already know. There's a special profile about this team," Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil said. "At no time on our sideline did anyone think we'd lost this football game."

Free safety Jerome Woods, who had a 79-yard touchdown interception return in the fourth quarter, knocked the ball loose from Green. It bounced right into the hands of linebacker Mike Maslowski.

"It stuck in my arms," Maslowski said.

Then, with the Packers expecting run, Kennison juked Bhawoh Jue along the right sideline and caught Green's pass for the winning score. Jue was in the lineup because starter Mike McKenzie sat out the second half with back spasms.

"It's a tough one to swallow," Green Bay quarterback Brett Favre said. "I'm sure Ahman's going to beat himself up over the fumble."

And Packers safety Darren Sharper was regretting the potential interception he dropped just before Andersen's miss that easily would have been a game-winning touchdown the other way.

Green Bay had won 56 straight games at home after building a double-digit lead but they blew two of them Sunday: 14-0 in the first quarter and 31-14 in the fourth.

Hall came into the game with kick return scores in an NFL-record four straight games, including game-winners against Baltimore and Denver the previous two weeks.

He nearly made it five, but he was tripped up by punter Josh Bidwell in the second quarter.

"I should have been in the end zone," Hall said. "He had a four-leaf clover in his pocket. And then a little monster came up from the field and tripped me. No, he made a great play. He's a little faster than I thought."

Hall did provide the Chiefs with a spark with 14 1/2 minutes remaining by returning a punt 32 yards to the Green Bay 42 -- even though the Packers had 12 men on the field.

Priest Holmes, stifled much of the afternoon, scored from a yard out about two minutes later to make it 31-21.

The Packers were driving when Favre's pass went off Donald Driver 's right hand. Woods intercepted it at his knees and returned it for a touchdown with 8:46 left to make it 31-28.

Andersen's 34-yard field goal tied it at 31 with 5:41 left, and he added a 31-yarder with 1 second remaining to send the game to OT after Ryan Longwell's 41-yarder restored Green Bay's lead at 34-31.

"We just never quit," Hall said. "We're going to fight until the clock reads 0:00."

The Packers, who hadn't surrendered 40 points at home in nearly 20 years, led 21-14 at halftime behind Green's 4-yard TD run and 11-yard TD reception.

Najeh Davenport's 18-yard burst up the middle in the third quarter and Longwell's 50-yard field goal made for a seemingly safe 31-14 lead.

"A lot of teams would have just accepted the loss," Packers wideout Antonio Freeman said.

But the Chiefs would score 26 of the game's final 29 points.

"Everything is a blur for me right now," Packers coach Mike Sherman said. "I never really thought we had the game under control. They're an explosive unit."

Hall, who had seven TD returns in his last 10 games, watched helplessly as the Packers' first two kickoffs went out of bounds. He lost the third one in the sun.

Longwell said the kickoffs out of bounds were accidental.

"He's a great returner," Longwell said. "But we're not that scared."

Hall's teammate, Vonnie Holliday, had a successful return to his former home stadium.

"This one might be the sweetest of all," said the Chiefs' defensive end who played five years in Green Bay. "Those guys called it luck, but good teams find ways to win."

This article has been reproduced in a new format and may be missing content or contain faulty links. Please use the Contact Us link in our site footer to report an issue.

Related Content