Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre was named the SNICKERS HUNGRIEST PLAYER OF THE YEAR for 2003-04 in honor of his outstanding performance in the Packers' win over the Raiders on December 23, the final Monday Night game of the season. The award recognizes the season's most outstanding performance on a Monday Night Football game.
Favre received nearly 20,000 votes from fans who made their selection on Snickers.com, clearly putting him ahead of Eagles QB Donovan McNabb and Indianapolis Colts QB Peyton Manning. In all, twenty-two players won SNICKERS HUNGRIEST PLAYER OF THE WEEK honors this season as selected by the Monday Night Football broadcast team.
"Brett's selection certainly comes as no surprise considering many have called his game that night the greatest individual performance in the history of Monday Night Football," said Jeffrey Moran, Snickers Communications Spokesperson. "The SNICKERS HUNGRIEST PLAYER honors the player with the most grit, determination and will to succeed...the player who is hungriest to win, and no one fits that description more than Brett Favre."
Favre produced one of the greatest performances of his 13-year career in the Packers' 41-7 win over the Raiders at Oakland in Week 16. In a game crucial to the Packers' playoff hopes and on the heels of a personal tragedy, he completed 22 of 30 passes for 399 yards and four touchdowns. All four TDs came in the first half when he passed for a personal-best 311 yards. His four TDs on the night moved him past Fran Tarkenton on the all-time touchdown list trailing only Dan Marino. In addition, the game marked his 205th consecutive start, a NFL record for quarterbacks.
Each week during the season, fans who logged onto the site prior to the game with a code found inside the wrapper of specially marked Snickers bars, and correctly selected the SNICKERS HUNGRIEST PLAYER, received a free Snickers bar, and were automatically entered for a trip for two to Super Bowl XXXVIII in Houston, TX. For the year, SNICKERS awarded 16 Super Bowl trips, a winner for each of the 16 Monday Night Football telecasts.
The season's SNICKERS HUNGRIEST PLAYERS included:
- Tampa Bay's Joe Jurevicius (Week1)
- Cowboys' Billy Cundiff, Quincy Carter and Terry Glenn (Week 2)
- Denver's Jake Plummer (Week 3)
- Green Bay's Ahman Green (Week 4)
- Indianapolis' Peyton Manning and Marvin Harrison (Week 5)
- Rams' Marc Bulger and Torry Holt (Week 6)
- Kansas City's Priest Holmes (Week 7)
- Miami's Patrick Surtain (Week 8)
- New England's Tom Brady (Week 9)
- Philadelphia's Donovan McNabb and Green Bay's Ahman Green (Week 10)
- San Francisco's Tim Rattay, Terrell Owens, and Kevan Barlow (Week 11)
- Tampa Bay's Keenan McCardell (Week 12)
- Jets' Chad Pennington (Week 13)
- Rams' Aeneas Williams (Week 14)
- Eagles' Donovan McNabb and Brian Dawkins (Week 15)
- Green Bay's Brett Favre (Week 16).
Masterfoods USA, the United States food, snack and petcare operations of Mars, Incorporated, is one of the world's leading food manufacturers. With more than $5 billion in annual sales, the combined food, snack and petcare segments are a symbol of excellence for quality brands. Headquartered in Hackettstown, NJ, Masterfoods USA employs more than 7,000 associates in the United States, with 15 manufacturing facilities nationwide. The company owns some of the world's favorite brands including M&M'S(r) Brand, SNICKERS(r) Brand, UNCLE BEN'S(r) Brand, PEDIGREE(r) Brand Food For Dogs, WHISKAS(r) Brand Food For Cats.