Skip to main content

Cowboys take 17-6 lead into halftime

Long TD drive in final minute extends Dallas advantage


GREEN BAY – The Cowboys drove 97 yards for a touchdown in the final minute of the first half to take a 17-6 lead over the Packers at halftime on Sunday at Lambeau Field.

The Packers caught a huge break as the second quarter began. Facing third-and-12 from the Dallas 48, QB Aaron Rodgers found no one open and was sacked, but LB Justin Durant was flagged for grabbing Rodgers' facemask, giving Green Bay a first down.

The drive stalled 2 yards short of the next first down, though, and K Mason Crosby made his second field goal of the game, a 43-yarder to make it 7-6 with 12:16 left in the half.

The Cowboys got into scoring range again. On an 8-yard pass to WR Terrance Williams, CB Damarious Randall re-injured his groin and left the game. Consecutive runs of 6 and 14 yards by RB Ezekiel Elliott moved the chains, and then the Cowboys converted on third down when Randall's replacement, CB Demetri Goodson, was called for pass interference on WR Cole Beasley.

The Packers then nearly got the ball back, as QB Dak Prescott fumble on a scramble, losing control of the ball without getting hit. But the Cowboys recovered within a big pile of bodies, and three plays later K Dan Bailey drilled a 44-yard field goal to put Dallas up 10-6 with 6:01 on the clock.

The Packers got back across midfield on a 22-yard pass to WR Davante Adams, and on third-and-5 from the Dallas 38, Cowboys CB Morris Claiborne collided with teammate LB Sean Lee on an incomplete slant pass to WR Jordy Nelson and was down on the field for a couple of minutes. He walked off slowly under his own power.

On the ensuing fourth-and-5, the Packers went for it, but Rodgers' pass for WR Randall Cobb was broken up by Dallas S Byron Jones, and the Cowboys took over just before the two-minute warning.

The Packers' defense responded with a three-and-out as Prescott threw three incomplete passes, giving the offense one last crack in the half. Rookie WR Trevor Davis returned the punt 25 yards to the Green Bay 46 with 1:39 to go.

Green Bay couldn't do anything with it, though, and punted after a three-and-out. P Jake Schum's boot was downed at the Dallas 3-yard line with 1:01 on the clock.

With the Packers using their timeouts to try to get the ball back one last time, the Cowboys got a 26-yard run from WR Lucky Whitehead to convert on third-and-1. A 42-yard pass to Williams followed, when CB LaDarius Gunter fell down, and then Prescott hit WR Brice Butler behind Gunter for a 20-yard TD with 27 seconds left in the half.

This article has been reproduced in a new format and may be missing content or contain faulty links. Please use the Contact Us link in our site footer to report an issue.

Related Content