The Green Bay Packers will finish the preseason slate with a trip to Kansas City to play the Chiefs.
- Overall, this will be the 20th preseason game between the Packers and Chiefs with the series tied at 9-9-1.
- The 19 times Green Bay has played Kansas City in the preseason is the sixth-most times it has played any team (Arizona, 23 / Cleveland, 25 / Pittsburgh, 26 / Washington, 26 / New York Giants, 30).
- This is the 10th time the Packers and Chiefs have been scheduled to play one another in the final game of the preseason since 2010, with each team winning four of the eight contests that were played. Green Bay was scheduled to close out the 2020 preseason in Kansas City, but the entire preseason was canceled due to COVID-19.
- It will be the Packers' first preseason visit to Arrowhead Stadium since 2018.
- This is the second year that the NFL schedule will consist of three preseason games played in preparation for a 17-game regular season.
WITH THE CALL
Flagshipped by Milwaukee's WTMJ-TV and in conjunction with WGBA-TV in Green Bay, Packers preseason games are televised over a 20-station network throughout the state of Wisconsin, Upper Michigan and northeastern Minnesota, Peoria in Illinois, Cedar Rapids-Waterloo and Des Moines in Iowa, Omaha in Nebraska, St. Louis in Missouri, Bismarck, Fargo and Minot in North Dakota, Sioux Falls in South Dakota and Anchorage, Fairbanks and Juneau in Alaska.
- The top-notch broadcast team includes CBS's Kevin Harlan (play-by-play) alongside former Green Bay fullback John Kuhn (analyst) with Lance Allan of WTMJ-TV serving as the sideline reporter. Allan will also host an informative half-hour pregame show.
- In addition to flagship station WTMJ-TV and WGBA-TV, the games are televised over WQOW/ABC, Eau Claire, Wis.; WXOW/ABC, La Crosse, Wis.; WKOW/ABC, Madison, Wis.; WAOW/ABC, Wausau, Wis.; KQDS/FOX, Duluth, Minn./Superior, Wis.; WLUC-NBC/FOX UP, Escanaba/Marquette, Mich.; WMBD/CBS, Peoria/Bloomington, Ill.; KCCI/CBS, Des Moines, Iowa; KWWL/NBC, Cedar Rapids/Waterloo, Iowa; KTVI/FOX, St. Louis, Mo.; KETV/ABC, Omaha, Neb.; KNDB/BEK, Bismarck, N.D.; KRDK/BEK, Fargo, N.D.; KNDM/BEK, Minot, N.D.; KDLT/NBC, Sioux Falls, S.D.; KYUR/ABC, Anchorage, Alaska; KATN/ABC, Fairbanks, Alaska and KJUD/ABC, Juneau, Alaska.
- All Packers games can be heard on the Packers Radio Network, which is made up of 49 stations in Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota, Illinois and South Dakota. This year, the Packers transitioned to a new flagship station in Milwaukee, iHeartRadio Milwaukee's 97.3 The Game WRNW. For a full listing of radio affiliates, go to packers.com/video/radio-network. Wayne Larrivee (play-by-play) and two-time Packers Pro Bowler Larry McCarren (analyst) call the action. McCarren first joined the team's broadcasts in 1995 and enters his 28th season calling Packers games. After originally being paired together in 1999, McCarren and Larrivee enter their 24th season of broadcasts together. They surpassed Jim Irwin and Max McGee for the most regular-season and postseason games broadcast for the Packers with 313 at the 2018 season opener against Chicago.
THE DOPE ON THIS WEEK'S OPPONENT
Packers at Chiefs:
- Preseason, all-time: 9-9-1
- Regular season, all-time: 4-8-1
- All-time, postseason: 1-0
- All-time, at Kansas City (reg. season): 3-5
- Series streak(s): Both Green Bay and Kansas City have streaks of three years winning at least 12 games in the regular season.
- Last meeting, regular season: Nov. 7, 2021, Arrowhead Stadium, Chiefs won, 13-7
- Matt LaFleur: 41-13-0, .796; (2-3 postseason); 4th NFL season
- Andy Reid: 233-135-1, .633; (19-16 postseason); 24th NFL season
- Head to Head: LaFleur 1-1 vs. Reid
- vs. Opponent: LaFleur 1-1 vs. Chiefs; Reid 6-4 vs. Packers (including 1-1 in postseason and his Philadelphia coaching tenure)
MATT LaFLEUR…In his fourth season as the Packers' 15th head coach.
- In his 14th season in the NFL, having previously served as an offensive coordinator for two seasons (Los Angeles Rams, 2017; Tennessee Titans, 2018), a quarterbacks coach for six seasons (Washington Football Team, 2010-13; Atlanta Falcons, 2015-16), and an offensive assistant for two seasons (Houston Texans, 2008-09).
- In his first three seasons leading the Packers, LaFleur has authored one of the greatest starts to a head-coaching career in NFL history. With a 13-4 record in 2021, he led the Packers to a third straight NFC North crown while also earning the No. 1 seed in the NFC for the second consecutive season.
- Became the first coach in NFL history to post 13-plus wins in three straight seasons and his 39 wins from 2019-21 passed George Seifert (38) for the most wins by an NFL head coach in his first three seasons in the league (Elias Sports Bureau). His 39 wins are also tied for the second most by a coach over any three-season span in league history, trailing only Mike Ditka's 40 wins with the Chicago Bears from 1985-87 (Elias).
- Has guided the Packers to a 22-2 record (.917) in the regular season at Lambeau Field, the top home mark in the NFL from 2019-21 and the best home winning percentage by a Packers head coach in his first three seasons. His 22 wins at home are also the most in NFL history by a coach in his first three seasons.
- In his first season leading the Packers in 2019, became the first coach in club history to lead the team to the playoffs in his debut season. Also led the largest one-year win improvement in team history (plus-seven wins).
ANDY REID…In his 10th season as the Chiefs' 13th head coach.
- Joined the Chiefs after 14 seasons as Head Coach/Executive Vice President of Football Operations of the Philadelphia Eagles, where he compiled a 130-93-1 (.583) regular-season record. Including his years as an assistant coach, his teams have made the playoffs 23 times (28-21 record), and he has coached in five Super Bowls and 12 championship games (eight NFC, four AFC). He owns three NFL Coach of the Year titles.
- Since his arrival in Kansas City, his teams have made it to the playoffs eight out of nine seasons, including four consecutive AFC title games (2018-21) and back-to-back Super Bowl appearances (2019-20). In nine seasons under him, the Chiefs have recorded eight 10-plus-win seasons and a .710 (103-42) winning percentage, which is the top mark in franchise history for any coach in his first nine seasons leading the club.
- His 2021 squad recorded a 12-5 record in the first 17-game season, extended the franchise record to six straight AFC West titles and secured the No. 2 seed in the AFC.
THE PACKERS-CHIEFS SERIES
- The first meeting between the teams came in January 1967, when the NFL champion Packers met the AFL champion Chiefs in the first-ever Super Bowl, won by Green Bay, 35-10.
- The Packers ended a five-game losing streak in the series when they defeated the Chiefs, 33-22, at Arrowhead Stadium in 2007.
- Green Bay's 38-28 victory over Kansas City in 2015 marked the Packers' first regular-season win vs. the Chiefs at home in series history.
- Green Bay (first; .796) and Kansas City (second; .776) both rank in the top five in NFL regular-season winning percentage since 2019).
Green Bay general manager Brian Gutekunst worked for the Chiefs as a scouting assistant during the 1998 season…Packers executive V.P./director of football operations Russ Ball, a native of Moberly, Mo., worked for the Chiefs for 10 seasons (1989-98), with the final two being in football operations. Ball also played center at Central Missouri and later served as head strength and conditioning coach for the Missouri Tigers from 1982-89 and earned his master's degree from Missouri in 1990…Kansas City Chiefs head coach Andy Reid coached in Green Bay as an assistant offensive line/tight ends coach from 1992-1996 and then as the quarterbacks coach from 1997-98…Chiefs WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling played for the Packers from 2018-21...Packers DL Akial Byers attended the University of Missouri from 2017-21…Chiefs LB Leo Chenal attended the University of Wisconsin from 2019-21…Packers quarterbacks coach Tom Clements played for the Chiefs in 1980 and coached the same position for the Chiefs during the 2000 season…Chiefs outside linebackers coach Ken Flajole coached with the Packers as a defensive assistant/defensive quality control coach during the 1998 season...Chiefs strength and conditioning coach Barry Rubin was an assistant strength and conditioning coach for the Packers from 1995-98 and was the head strength and conditioning coach from 1999-2005…Kansas City director of pro personnel/pro scouting Tim Terry spent 13 seasons in the Packers' pro personnel department, serving as a pro personnel assistant from 2005-07 and then as assistant director of pro personnel from 2008-16…Packers offensive line coach Luke Butkus held the same role with the Chicago Bears from 2007-09, where he coached with Chiefs assistant head coach/special teams coordinator Dave Toub, who coached special teams for the Bears from 2004-12…Chiefs offensive line coach Andy Heck held the same title with the Jacksonville Jaguars when Packers TE Marcedes Lewis was on the roster…Chiefs assistant strength and conditioning coach/director of sport science Ryan Reynolds held the same position at UCLA when Packers DL Kenny Clark was on the Bruins' roster…Packers DL Dean Lowry played at Northwestern when Chiefs pass game analyst/assistant quarterbacks coach David Girardi was a defensive graduate assistant...Chiefs Southwest regional scout Jason Lamb was a pro personnel intern with the Packers in 2013…Chiefs Northeast area scout Cassidy Kaminski was born in Green Bay and served as the wide receivers/quality control coach at St. Norbert College in De Pere, Wis., from 2014-16.