Skip to main content

Packers and Bears tied at halftime, 10-10

RB Ty Montgomery's two long runs only produce three points for Green Bay


CHICAGO – Packers RB Ty Montgomery rushed for nearly 100 yards in the second quarter alone, but the Bears had the better of it on the scoreboard as Green Bay and Chicago entered halftime tied at 10 on Sunday at Soldier Field.

On the first play from scrimmage in the second quarter, Montgomery spun out of a tackle at the line and raced 61 yards to the Chicago 29-yard line. After a false start penalty, QB Aaron Rodgers connected with WR Jordy Nelson for 10 yards, and RB Christine Michael ran for 4 to set up third-and-1.

Montgomery was stopped for a loss of 2, and the Packers decided to go for it on fourth down, but Rodgers was sacked by Bears LB Pernell McPhee.

The Bears got on the board on their next drive. QB Matt Barkley and WR Deonte Thompson started clicking as they connected on passes of 15, 11 and 17 yards. Barkley also hit WR Cameron Meredith for 11. But Green Bay's defense held in the red zone, as a third-down fade route to the end zone corner for Meredith was overthrown, and the Bears settled for a 26-yard field goal by K Connor Barth.

Green Bay led, 7-3, with 6:00 left in the half.

The Packers went three-and-out and punted. A Green Bay penalty on the punt gave Chicago great field position at its own 45.

The Bears got into scoring range right away on a 34-yard pass to Meredith to the Green Bay 18. After an 8-yard pass to TE Daniel Brown, Barkley hit WR Josh Bellamy in the flat, and Bellamy ran over CB Damarious Randall for a 10-yard TD. Barth's PAT put the Bears ahead 10-7 with 2:16 left in the half.

After another bad special-teams play left the Packers to start on their own 15, Rodgers hit TE Jared Cook for 21 yards as the two-minute warning arrived. After another pass to Cook, for 12 yards, Montgomery ran 36 yards on a shotgun draw to the Chicago 16. On second down, Rodgers' pass to the end zone for WR Davante Adams was dropped, and his third-down pass was almost intercepted.

K Mason Crosby tied the game at 10 with a low, line-drive 34-yard field goal with 32 seconds left.

A Hail Mary pass by the Bears on the final play of the half was intercepted by Packers DB Micah Hyde.

This article has been reproduced in a new format and may be missing content or contain faulty links. Please use the Contact Us link in our site footer to report an issue.