The Green Bay Packers this week honored several exemplary local law enforcement officers as the Packers Protect & Serve Award winners, recognizing them for going above and beyond the call of duty within the state of Wisconsin.
The winners received a special award and a $2,000 grant to benefit their department or a nonprofit. They were treated to a luncheon and an award presentation, as well as speeches from Packers alumnus Tiger Greene and Waukesha Police Chief Daniel Thompson. Award winners attended with their family members, friends, fellow officers and superiors.
The winners of the individual awards and the department award include:
- Officer Anthony Becker from the Port Washington Police Department
- Lieutenant Casey Cox from the Prairie du Chien Police Department
- Sergeant Mark Berner, Sergeant Tim Johnson and Deputy Dustan Peterson from the Brown County Sheriff's Office
- Chief Sara Knapp from the Shiocton Police Department
- Investigator Jessie Lewis from the Racine County Sheriff's Office
- Officer Matthew Ninham from the Hortonville Police Department
- Sergeant Peter Rud from the Boyceville Police Department
- Deputy Kurt Thompson and K-9 Deputy Tito from the Waukesha County Sheriff's Office
- Detective Andrew Wilkiewicz from the Milwaukee Police Department
- The Waukesha Police Department and Police Chief Daniel Thompson, recipients of the Department Award
The awards themselves, hand-crafted wooden American flags, were made by Oneida Police Sergeant Nathan Ness through his small business HomeLeeWoodWorking.
The Packers Protect & Serve Award is funded by Packers and the NFL Foundation, with each award recipient receiving a $2,000 grant to benefit his or her department or a nonprofit with which they are involved.
The Packers Protect & Serve Award is part of Green Bay Packers Give Back, the Packers' all-encompassing community outreach initiative. Combined with other Green Bay Packers charity endeavors, the awards contribute to a comprehensive Packers charity impact that was in excess of $9 million last year.
The Green Bay Packers honored winners of the Packers Protect & Serve Award at Rockwood Terrace in Titletown with a luncheon and award presentation on Wednesday, May 25.