Titletown will transform into a winter sports wonderland on Feb. 18 and 19 when it hosts the fourth annual Titletown Winter Games presented by U.S. Venture.
The free event will offer community members the chance to experience the thrill of the sports for themselves with luge, curling, biathlon and cross-country skiing, figure skating and ski jumping, thanks to guidance from Olympic governing bodies USA Luge, USA Curling, US Biathlon, US Ski & Snowboard – Central Cross Country Skiing, USA Figure Skating and USA Nordic Sport. The Winter Games event is a collaboration between Titletown and U.S. Venture, Inc., headquartered in Appleton, Wis.
Activities begin at noon on Saturday, Feb. 18, with an opening ceremony, and the event will continue throughout the day until 7 p.m. Winter Games events will resume Sunday, Feb. 19, from noon until 5 p.m.
The public is encouraged to bring bike or ski helmets to wear while participating in the sporting activities; additional necessary equipment will be provided. All participants must complete a waiver onsite before beginning activities. More information about the sports featured at the Winter Games is below:
- USA Luge will create a special course on Ariens Hill for the Luge Challenge. Participants will compete in categories (boys, girls, men and women) with a prize awarded to the top three fastest runs in each group on both Saturday and Sunday. Participants must be at least 9 years old. To accommodate the course, Ariens Hill will be closed for tubing Feb. 17-19.
- USA Curling will utilize a portion of Hy-Vee Plaza to create an instructional course for participants to learn how to curl. Participants must wear rubber-soled shoes or snow boots to access the ice for curling. This event will also be open to participants using wheelchairs. Skating will remain open to the public at the normal hours of operation and admission rate throughout the weekend.
- US Biathlon and US Ski & Snowboard will host an interactive biathlon and cross-country skiing experience for the public to try the winter sport that combines cross country skiing and marksmanship. The event will use eye-safe "infrared rifles" to accurately simulate marksmanship and cross-country ski equipment will be available. This event will also be open to participants using wheelchairs.
- USA Nordic Sport will create a mini ski jump out of snow. Participants will learn the fundamentals of the four parts of a ski jump under the guidance of elite coaches, former Olympians and local club leaders. All ages are welcome, and skis and helmets will be provided.
- US Figure Skating will offer free ice skating lessons to skaters of all ages and skill levels through Learn to Skate USA. Each session includes a 30-minute group lesson followed by practice time and a group photo. Ice skating admission fees are required for all participants, and skates are available to rent if needed.
Titletown and U.S. Venture will also welcome special guests for the event which so far include: three-time Olympian and 1998 Olympic silver medalist Gordy Sheer, two-time Olympian Bethany Bedford, along with staff and Wisconsin-based Junior National Team athletes from USA Luge. Team USA Curling members from Team Bear, 2018 Junior National Champions and 2023 Women's National Bronze medalists Allison Howell, Madison Bear, and Annmarie Dubberstein will also be in attendance.
Additionally, youth and families from various community organizations will attend the Titletown Winter Games as guests of U.S. Venture, Wello and Be Well Fox Valley.
More information about the two-day event is available at titletown.com/events/calendar/titletown-winter-games. Titletown also includes TitletownTech, The Turn, Bellin Health Titletown Sports Medicine & Orthopedics, Lodge Kohler, Hinterland Restaurant and Brewery, U.S. Venture Center, and Associated Bank.
About U.S. Venture:
For over 70 years, U.S. Venture, Inc. has been recognized as an innovative leader in the distribution of traditional and renewable energy products, lubricants, tires, parts, and using data-driven insights to manage energy and information in the global movement of goods. U.S. Venture delivers creative, sustainable solutions that give their customers a competitive edge, and enable the company to support the communities in which they live, work, and play. Through the values lived by their family of brands, U.S. Oil, U.S. AutoForce, Max Finkelstein, LLC, U.S. Gain, Breakthrough®, U.S. Lubricants, U.S. Petroleum Equipment, and IGEN®, U.S. Venture seeks new ways to drive business success while being steadfast in its commitment to making the world a better place. The company is a major sponsor of the USA Luge team and draws inspiration from the athletes' high performance – one of the company's differentiating values.