Skip to main content

Packers fall in preseason finale, 33-21

Green Bay goes 2-2 in exhibition season


KANSAS CITY – The Packers concluded their 2018 preseason with a 33-21 loss to the Chiefs at Kansas City's Arrowhead Stadium on Thursday night.

Green Bay finished 2-2 on the month and will now have to cut its roster down to 53 players by 3 p.m. CT Saturday.

For the Packers, QB DeShone Kizer was 5-for-7 for 57 yards with one touchdown and one interception. Tim Boyle finished 15-of-31 for 127 yards with a TD and two INTs. The two TD receptions in the game went to WR Geronimo Allison and TE Robert Tonyan. RB Aaron Jones also had nine carries for 34 yards and a rushing score.

Here's a recap of all the action:


Packers, Chiefs tied at 7 after one

DeShone Kizer started at QB for the Packers but promptly threw an interception on the third play of the game, overthrowing TE Lance Kendricks. S Armani Watts made the diving pick.

Starting near midfield, the Chiefs drove right down for the score. RB Damien Williams ran three times for 16 yards and caught an 8-yard pass on the drive, which ended with a 3-yard TD pass from CB Chad Henne to TE Demetrius Harris on third-and-goal.

The Packers answered. A 7-yard pass to Kendricks and 10-yard scramble by Kizer picked up two first downs. Then on fourth-and-1 from the Kansas City 31, WR Geronimo Allison got behind the defense and Kizer hit him for the TD to tie the game.

The Chiefs got going again on a 10-yard pass from QB Matt McGloin to WR De'Anthony Thomas and an 11-yard run by RB Darrel Williams across midfield. A 12-yard pass to TE Jace Amaro converted on third-and-8, and a 13-yard connection with Amaro again on the next play put the Chiefs on the Green Bay 20 as the first quarter expired.


Packers lead 21-17 at halftime

The Chiefs went nowhere with their red-zone possession to start the period, and K Harrison Butker was good from 35 yards out to make it 10-7.

Tim Boyle took over at QB for the Packers, and passes of 11 yards each to WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling and TE Robert Tonyan converted a pair of third-and-longs. Anotehr Boyle strike to Scantling gained 30 and put the ball on the KC 21.

RB Joel Bouagnon ripped off an 11-yard run, and on third-and-goal from the 7, Boyle hit Bouagnon in the flat and he dove for the pylon but came up just short. The Packers went for it again on fourth down, and a quick flip from Boyle to Tonyan was good for the 1-yard TD. K Mason Crosby's PAT put the Packers up, 14-10, with 7:55 left in the half.

LB Greer Martini broke up a third-down pass over the middle to get the Packers' defense a three-and-out, and WR Trevor Davis had the ball stripped on the punt return, but FB Joe Kerridge recovered for Green Bay.

Boyle hit Tonyan over the middle for 15 yards, and then a deep ball to WR Equanimeous St. Brown drew a pass interference penalty, putting the ball on the KC 14. RB Aaron Jones cut back across the field for a 13-yard run and then finished it with a 1-yard TD plunge, putting the Packers up 21-10.

McGloin's deep ball to WR Byron Pringle was hauled in for a 62-yard gain to the Green Bay 13, and the Chiefs were in scoring territory again. Three plays later, McGloin found RB Darrel Williams on a wheel route out of the backfield for a 7-yard TD, and the Chiefs pulled within 21-17 with 1:56 left in the half.

Three straight incompletions for Boyle led to a quick punt, and the Chiefs took over on their own 33 with 1:32 on the clock. CB Demetri Goodson's tight coverage on third down helped produce another three-and-out, and the Packers got one more shot in the half from their own 8.

A sack and false start prevented the Packers from going anywhere, and P JK Scott had to punt from his own end zone. Scott's 55-yard boot put the Chiefs back on their own 40.

A pass to Pringle picked up 14 yards to the Green Bay 46, and the Chiefs used their last timeout with 13 seconds to go. A Hail Mary try for Pringle was deflected and intercepted by CB Herb Waters in the end zone on the half's final play.


Packers trail 23-21 after three

Pringle returned the second-half kickoff 47 yards, and the Chiefs got moving on a 12-yard run and 11-yard reception by Williams. Amaro added a 13-yard grab, but the drive stalled at the Green Bay 20. Butker was good from 38 yards out, and the Packers' lead was cut to one, 21-20.

The Packers went three-and-out, and it was initially ruled the Chiefs fumbled on the punt return, but after review, it was determined CB Tremon Smith's knee was down before the ball came out.

Pringle hauled in a 40-yard pass from QB Chase Litton to open the next drive, and an 8-yard pass to WR Jehu Chesson gained 8 to set up third-and-2 from the Green Bay 25. A quick throw on a crossing route to TE Alex Ellis picked up the first down, but a third-down toss to Chesson in the end zone was caught out of bounds. Waters got hurt in coverage on the play, and Butker came in for a 36-yard field goal that put the Chiefs back on top, 23-21.

Boyle's 10-yard pass to St. Brown converted on third down, but two plays later Boyle was intercepted by Watts on an overthrow. It was Watts' second pick of the game.

Two completions to Ellis moved the chains and got the Chiefs across midfield. WR Jordan Smallwood hauled in a 29-yard pass to the Green Bay 18, and a 10-yard connection with Amaro made it first-and-goal.


Packers fall in preseason finale, 33-21

The Chiefs couldn't punch it in. LB Vince Biegel and DT Tyler Lancaster combined on a 2-yard tackle for loss on first down, and two incomplete passes brought on Butker for another field goal. He was good from 28 and the Chiefs led, 26-21, with 14:10 left.

On the third snap of the Packers' next drive, Boyle threw another interception, this one to former Packers CB Makinton Dorleant, who returned it 30 yards for the TD. The score pushed Kansas City's lead to 33-21.

Boyle picked up two third downs with short passes to WR Adonis Jennings and RB Bronson Hill. On third-and-2 from the KC 31, his pass for Jennings was incomplete, and the Packers went for it. Boyle's throw was behind Davis downfield, and the Chiefs regained possession.

The Chiefs drained the clock down under five minutes left before punting to the Packers. Green Bay couldn't get moving and punted it back with just under three minutes left, and the Chiefs ran out the clock.