Skip to main content

Packers fall to Chiefs in preseason finale, 17-7

Green Bay finishes preseason with 3-1 record


KANSAS CITY, Mo. – The Chiefs came up with a goal-line stand late in the fourth quarter and handed the Packers their only loss of the preseason, 17-7 on Thursday night at Arrowhead Stadium.

Here's a quarter-by-quarter recap of the action.

4th quarter:

The Packers nearly got their third interception of the night on the opening drive of the fourth, but rookie S Kentrell Brice couldn't quite come down with a high throw deep over the middle by Chiefs QB Kevin Hogan.

On the ensuing Packers punt, rookie S Marwin Evans got sandwiched by an illegal blindside block by the Chiefs and was down on the field for a few minutes, but he got up and walked off under his own power.

Evans returned to the field shortly thereafter, and following a 20-yard run by RB Knile Davis, the Packers' defense held.

Marquise Williams came in at QB for the Packers to finish up, but he couldn't get anything going right away. P Jacob Schum continued his solid Green Bay debut with a 52-yard punt (net of 46 after the return).

Green Bay got one more turnover, as DT Brian Price forced a fumble by RB Darrin Reaves, and CB Demetri Goodson recovered for the Packers at the KC 39.

The Packers immediately got into scoring range, as WR Geronimo Allison was interfered with on a deep ball from Williams, making it first-and-goal on the 4. RB Brandon Ross was stopped on three straight runs, though, the last on fourth-and-goal from the 1, and the Packers didn't score.

3rd quarter:

A turnover-filled third quarter was scoreless, so the Chiefs headed into the final period with a 17-7 lead over the Packers on Thursday night at Arrowhead Stadium.

The second half started with the Chiefs driving into scoring range, as QB Aaron Murray hit WR Rod Streater for 31 yards and WR Frankie Hammond Jr. for 20 more. But Packers CB Josh Hawkins intercepted an errant throw toward the sideline, Hawkins' second interception of the preseason in his bid for a roster spot.

After a 13-yard completion to WR Geronimo Allison, the Packers stalled out. QB Joe Callahan was sacked on third down by LB Dadi Nicholas, forcing another punt.

The Packers got it right back with another interception, though, this one by CB LaDarius Gunter, who was otherwise having a bit of a rough night in coverage. The turnover gave the ball to Green Bay on its own 44 with 9:55 left in the quarter.

A 9-yard pass from Callahan to WR Jared Abbrederis moved the chains, and RB Brandon Ross added a 7-yard run to get the Packers on the edge of field-goal range, but a holding penalty on G Lane Taylor (his second holding of the night) pushed the offense back. TE Justin Perillo couldn't haul in a low pass over the middle, and then Callahan was sacked on third down. P Jacob Schum hit a 45-yard punt that was fair-caught at the 12.

The Chiefs once again drove across midfield but were turned away when Packers LB Kyler Fackrell sacked Murray, and Abbrederis returned the ensuing punt 42 yards. Adding a penalty on the Chiefs, the Packers began at the KC 41-yard line.

Two snaps later, the Packers gave it right back. RB Brandon Burks coughed up the ball, and former Packers LB Dezman Moses recovered for the Chiefs at the KC 35, preserving Kansas City's 10-point lead.

2nd quarter:

A pair of second-quarter touchdowns and a late field goal gave the Chiefs a 17-7 lead over the Packers at halftime on Thursday night at Arrowhead Stadium.

After a slow start, Chiefs QB Tyler Bray found some rhythm. Before the first quarter elapsed, he hit consecutive passes of 8 yards to WR De'Anthony Thomas, 13 yards to WR Rod Streater and 13 yards to TE Travis Kelce.

On the first snap of the second quarter, Bray hit Streater for 22 yards over the middle, and two plays later, RB Knile Davis finished the drive with a 5-yard TD run. That tied the score at 7 with 14:00 left in the half.

The Packers nearly answered on their next drive, but QB Joe Callahan's deep pass couldn't quite by corralled by diving WR Ty Montgomery. A pair of penalties on G Lane Taylor and a sack followed, forcing the Packers to punt.

The Chiefs then took the lead, 14-7, as WR Frankie Hammond Jr. and RB Darrin Reaves did almost all the damage on a 58-yard scoring drive. Hammond caught four passes for 31 yards and Reaves carried five times for 23 yards, taking it the final 3 yards for the TD with 4:15 left in the half.

The Packers tried the deep ball again on their next drive, and this time it worked. Callahan hit WR Jared Abbrederis for a 40-yard gain, but on the very next play, TE Casey Pierce fumbled after a 22-yard reception up the seam, and the Chiefs recovered, thwarting the drive.

Green Bay got the ball right back, though, mostly thanks to a third-down sack by DE Datone Jones that forced the Chiefs to punt out of their own end zone. P Dustin Colquitt boomed a 60-yarder that Abbrederis returned 14 yards to the KC 49, giving Callahan 2:18 to work with.

Callahan couldn't capitalize. On third-and-4 from the KC 43, he threw behind WR Davante Adams on a slant. He tried to go to Adams again on fourth down, but Adams wasn't open, and the Chiefs took over.

QB Aaron Murray then drove the Chiefs inside the Green Bay 25 in the final minute of the half, and K Cairo Santos made a 42-yard field goal on the last snap.

1st quarter:

A blocked punt late in the first quarter set up the first points of the game, and the Packers took a 7-0 lead over the Chiefs after one at Arrowhead Stadium on Thursday night.

The biggest happening on the first three drives of the game was the debut of the Packers' new punter, Jacob Schum. From the Kansas City 41, Schum hit a high pooch that was fair-caught at the 9-yard line. He followed that up with a 44-yarder on his next effort, also fair-caught at the 9. His third try bounced inside the 5 and trickled into the end zone for a touchback, nearly staying in the field of play by the goal line.

The Packers' defense was off to a solid start as well, posting three straight three-and-outs to open the game. The Chiefs should have had a first down on their third drive, but QB Tyler Bray's third-down pass over the middle to a wide-open Tyreek Hill was too high.

The miscue proved big, as Packers WR Ty Montgomery blocked Chiefs P Dustin Colquitt's punt on the very next snap. Green Bay took over on the Kansas City 14-yard line and needed just two plays to score.

QB Joe Callahan hit WR Davante Adams for a 9-yard slant, and then followed with a well-thrown 5-yard TD pass to TE Jared Cook on an out-and-up route, putting the Packers on top, 7-0, with 1:57 left in the quarter.

The Chiefs got their first three first downs of the game in the final 90 seconds of the quarter and were across midfield when time expired.

This article has been reproduced in a new format and may be missing content or contain faulty links. Please use the Contact Us link in our site footer to report an issue.

Related Content