GREEN BAY – The Packers have selected their initial 53-man roster, and it includes only two quarterbacks.
An undrafted rookie a year ago, Tim Boyle beat out former second-round draft pick DeShone Kizer for the No. 2 QB spot. The Packers also released Kizer, giving them only two QBs on their initial 53 for just the second time in the last six years.
Boyle posted a 112.9 passer rating over the four preseason games, completing 34-of-57 passes for 356 yards with six touchdowns and no interceptions. He started the last two contests and directed three consecutive touchdown drives in the second quarter of the third preseason game against the Raiders in Winnipeg.
Boyle’s passer rating ranked in the top 10 among all QBs with at least 20 preseason passing attempts.
Here’s the Packers’ initial 53-man roster:
QB (2): 12 Aaron Rodgers, 8 Tim Boyle
Released: 9 DeShone Kizer, 18 Manny Wilkins
RB (3): 33 Aaron Jones, 30 Jamaal Williams, 22 Dexter Williams
Released: 32 Tra Carson, RB Keith Ford
FB (1): 45 Danny Vitale
Released: 48 Tommy Bohanon
Waived/injured: 46 Malcolm Johnson
WR (6): 17 Davante Adams, 83 Marquez Valdes-Scantling, 81 Geronimo Allison, 11 Trevor Davis, 16 Jake Kumerow, 10 Darrius Shepherd
Released: 88 Teo Redding, 86 Malik Taylor, 82 J’Mon Moore, 13 Allen Lazard
Injured reserve: 19 Equanimeous St. Brown
TE (4): 80 Jimmy Graham, 89 Marcedes Lewis, 85 Robert Tonyan, 87 Jace Sternberger
Released: 84 Pharaoh McKever, 49 Evan Baylis
OL (9): 75 Bryan Bulaga, 69 David Bakhtiari, 65 Lane Taylor, 77 Billy Turner, 63 Corey Linsley, 74 Elgton Jenkins, 62 Lucas Patrick, 70 Alex Light, 61 Cole Madison
Released: 71 Anthony Coyle, 72 Gerhard de Beer, 68 Dejon Allen, 73 Yosh Nijman, 57 Adam Pankey
Traded: 64 Justin McCray
See headshots and action shots of the complete Green Bay Packers 2019 roster.
DL (6): 97 Kenny Clark, 94 Dean Lowry, 90 Montravius Adams, 95 Tyler Lancaster, 96 Kingsley Keke, 98 Fadol Brown
Released: 79 Deon Simon, 99 James Looney, 67 Olive Sagapolu
OLB (4): 55 Za’Darius Smith, 91 Preston Smith, 51 Kyler Fackrell, 52 Rashan Gary
Released: 49 James Folston, 56 Randy Ramsey, 59 Markus Jones
Traded: 93 Reggie Gilbert
PUP: 57 Greg Roberts
ILB (4): 50 Blake Martinez, 42 Oren Burks, 54 James Crawford, 44 Ty Summers
Released: 58 Brady Sheldon
Waived/injured: 40 Curtis Bolton
CB (7): 23 Jaire Alexander, 20 Kevin King, 38 Tramon Williams, 37 Josh Jackson, 28 Tony Brown, 29 Ka’dar Hollman, 39 Chandon Sullivan
Released: 41 Nydair Rouse, 47 Jocquez Kalili, 24 Jackson Porter, 48 Kabion Ento
S (4): 31 Adrian Amos, 26 Darnell Savage, 36 Raven Greene, 25 Will Redmond
Released: 34 Tray Matthews, 21 Natrell Jamerson
PUP: 35 Ibraheim Campbell
Specialists (3): 2 Mason Crosby, 6 JK Scott, 43 Hunter Bradley
Released: 7 Sam Ficken
Here are some noteworthy items:
- The initial roster consists of 25 offensive players, 25 defensive players, and three specialists.
- Only one undrafted rookie made the roster, WR Darrius Shepherd. At least one undrafted rookie has made the roster every year dating back to 2005. Shepherd originally came to Green Bay for a tryout during rookie minicamp, and he’s the first rookie tryout participant to make the initial 53 since Jarrett Boykin in 2012.
- All told, 16 former college free agents currently are on the Packers’ 53.
- The Packers kept four tight ends for the second straight year and for the seventh time in the last 10 seasons, dating back to 2010.
- Rookie LB Ty Summers, who is on the roster as a seventh-round draft pick from TCU, led the entire NFL in tackles over the four preseason games, with 30.
- The Packers released 30 players, placed one on injured reserve and two on PUP, waived/injured two, and made two trades for draft picks to reduce the roster to 53.
- The roster is not necessarily final. Waiver claims can be made through Sunday late morning, and room must be made on the 53-man roster for any player claimed on waivers. The Packers are 12th in the waiver claim order, the highest they’ve been at roster-reduction time since 2009.
- Also, players placed on injured reserve after this time are eligible to return during the season (missing minimum six weeks of practices, eight weeks of games).
- Once the waiver period expires, teams can begin establishing their 10-man practice squads.