This is an abbreviated version of the 2013 Training Camp Dope Sheet. To read the full version, download the PDF by clicking here.**
TRAINING CAMP SET TO BEGIN IN GREEN BAY
- A day circled on the calendar of every sports fan – the official beginning of the NFL season – will arrive this Friday when the Green Bay Packers kick off the 2013 campaign at Ray Nitschke Field.
- Coming off a 2012 season that saw Green Bay post its fourth straight double-digit win total and its second consecutive NFC North title, the Packers will begin to write this season's story in front of fans at Nitschke Field.
players continue to ride children's bicycles to practice, a tradition first started under the legendary Vince Lombardi
SAVE THE DATE Click hereto view the full training camp schedule. Important dates to remember (all times CDT):
- Thursday, July 25 – Players report to training camp
- Friday, July 26 – First practice, 8:20 a.m., Nitschke Field
- Saturday, Aug. 3 – Packers Family Night, Presented by Bellin Health, 6:30 p.m., Lambeau Field
- Friday, Aug. 9 – First preseason game, vs. Arizona Cardinals, 7 p.m., Lambeau Field (Bishop's Charities Game)
- Saturday, Aug. 17 – Preseason game at St. Louis Rams, 7 p.m., Edward Jones Dome
- Friday, Aug. 23 – Preseason game vs. Seattle Seahawks, 7 p.m., Lambeau Field (Midwest Shrine Game)
- Tuesday, Aug. 27 – Final practice open to public, 11 a.m., Nitschke Field
- Tuesday, Aug. 27 – Roster reduction to a maximum of 75 players by 3 p.m.
- Thursday, Aug. 29 – Preseason game at Kansas City Chiefs, 7 p.m., Arrowhead Stadium
- Saturday, Aug. 31 – Roster reduction to a maximum of 53 players by 5 p.m.
THE MONTH AHEAD
- Green Bay's training camp schedule features 19 open practices, including one night practice, plus Family Night, and four preseason games in just more than one calendar month.
- The first six practices of training camp will take place at 8:20 a.m. The first and only evening session will take place Friday, Aug. 2, at 7 p.m.
- The Packers will conduct a total of 10 practices at Nitschke Field prior to the preseason opener vs. Arizona on Aug. 9, with nine of those sessions beginning at 8:20 a.m.
- Following the game against the Cardinals, the Packers will shift into more of a regular-season schedule with morning practices (11, 11:15 or 11:30 a.m.).
- A now-signature event during camp, Packers Family Night is presented by Bellin Health. Now in its 13th year, the evening will feature on-field football drills, a scrimmage and a fireworks display high above Lambeau Field. The event will benefit the Wendy's Wonderful Kids foster-care adoption program.
BREAKING DOWN THE ROSTER
- The Packers enter training camp with an 88-man roster that is composed of 44 offensive players, 40 defensive players and four specialists.
- Of the 88 players on Green Bay's roster, 44 of them (50.0 percent) were drafted by the Packers.
- With 25 non-drafted free agents on the roster having started their NFL careers with Green Bay, 69 of the 88 players (78.4 percent) began their pro careers with the Packers.
- Nearly two-thirds of the players (56 of 88, 63.6 percent) on Green Bay's roster entered the league as a sixth-round or seventh-round pick or as an undrafted player. Almost half of the players (43 of 88, 48.9 percent) on the roster were not drafted.
- Only 19 of the 88 players on the roster (21.6 percent) were selected in the first three rounds of the draft.
- Of the 88 players on the roster, 80 of them (90.9 percent) are 28 years old or younger (as of Aug. 1) and 53 players (60.2 percent) are 24 years old or younger.
GREEN BAY'S ROSTER ...
BY AGE (as of Aug. 1)
- 21-24, 53 players
- 25-28, 27 players
- 29-32, 7 players
- 33-plus, 1 players
- R-1, 38 players
- 2-3, 21 players
- 4-5, 17 players
- 6-9, 11 players
- 10-plus, 1 players
BY DRAFT ROUND
- 1st, 9 players
- 2nd/3rd, 10 players
- 4th/5th, 14 players
- 6th/7th, 12 players
- Undrafted, 43 players
MEET THE DRAFT PICKS
- Training-camp storylines always hover around new players and just how they figure into the depth chart. This past April, the Packers added to an already deep and talented roster with an 11-man draft class.
ROOKIE RB EDDIE LACY was named MVP of the BCS National Championship Game
ST. NORBERT AND THE PACKERS
- Continuing a tradition started under Packers coach Scooter McLean in 1958, the Green Bay Packers will call St. Norbert College home for a 56th consecutive training camp this summer. The relationship between the private college in De Pere, Wis., and the Green Bay Packers marks the longest continual use of any training-camp facility by an NFL team.
- Players will take up residence in Victor McCormick Hall, a 60-room coed dormitory used to house 225 students during the academic year. * *
- St. Norbert, founded in 1898 by Abbot Bernard Pennings, borders the Fox River and enrolls around 2,000 students.
- The Packers use their own practice and team-meeting facilities at Lambeau Field during training camp, with the college serving as housing headquarters.
- Players return to St. Norbert via cars and vans every evening for team dinner.
- The 6.62-mile commute is estimated at 11 minutes each way.
- A look at the longest active training-camp tenures in the NFL:
Team, Training Camp, YearsGreen Bay, St. Norbert College, 56
Minnesota, Minnesota State, Mankato, 48
Pittsburgh, St. Vincent College, 48
A LOOK AT THE SCHEDULE
- The Green Bay Packers' 93rd NFL regular-season schedule is headlined by four prime-time games (subject to flexible scheduling) and a Thanksgiving contest at Detroit.
- Green Bay's schedule includes seven games against 2012 playoff teams, with three of those contests (Atlanta, Minnesota, Washington) at Lambeau Field and four on the road (Baltimore, Cincinnati, Minnesota, San Francisco). The Packers will travel to play both of the teams that played in Super Bowl XLVII (Baltimore and San Francisco).
- The Packers have two prime-time contests at home (vs. Chicago on Monday Night Football in Week 9 and vs. Atlanta on Sunday night in Week 14) and two on the road (Sunday night contests at Minnesota in Week 8 and at the N.Y. Giants in Week 11). Green Bay plays at Detroit on Thanksgiving in a nationally televised contest.
- The Packers' bye arrives in Week 4, the earliest their open date has come on the schedule since they had a Week 4 bye in 1999.
- For the first time since entering the National Football League in 1921, Green Bay does not have back-to-back road games on its schedule.
- The Packers have 14 games on Sunday, including seven straight to start the season, one Monday night game and the Thursday game on Thanksgiving.
- For just the second time in eight seasons under Head Coach Mike McCarthy (also 2010), the Packers will open the season on the road, this year against San Francisco on Sunday, Sept. 8. Green Bay opens its season against the 49ers for the second straight year and at San Francisco for the first time in franchise history.
Green Bay's schedule includes seven games against 2012 playoff teams
IN THE PRESEASON
- The Packers' preseason schedule is highlighted by a nationally televised contest at Lambeau Field against the Seattle Seahawks on Friday, Aug. 23.
- The Packers open the preseason against Arizona at Lambeau Field after last hosting the Cardinals during the preseason in 2011. This contest will be the 23rd all-time preseason meeting between the two franchises and fourth since the Cardinals moved to Arizona prior to the 1988 season.
- On Aug. 17, Green Bay will travel to St. Louis to face the Rams in the first preseason meeting between these two franchises since the Rams moved to St. Louis prior to the 1995 season. The last time the two clubs met in the preseason, the Packers faced the Los Angeles Rams in Madison, Wis., on Aug. 6, 1994, at Camp Randall Stadium.
- CBS will broadcast the third preseason contest against the Seattle Seahawks to a national audience. This will mark the fifth preseason meeting between the two teams and the fourth in the last 10 years. It will be the Seahawks' first preseason trip to Lambeau Field since 2007. Over the past 21 preseasons, the Packers have appeared on national television at least once in 20 of those years.
- The preseason concludes with a road contest against the Kansas City Chiefs on Aug. 29, the fourth straight year the teams will have met in the preseason finale and the second time at Arrowhead Stadium.
*This is an abbreviated version of the 2013 Training Camp Dope Sheet. To read the full version, download the PDF by clicking here. *