GREEN BAY – The Packers reduced their roster to 53 players during the NFL-mandated roster reduction on Tuesday.
Green Bay can start building its 16-player practice squad after the waiver process concludes on Wednesday.
Here's how the initial roster for the 2022 season breaks down, position by position, with players kept, released or given injury designations. More notes are posted below.
QB (2): 12 Aaron Rodgers, 10 Jordan Love
Released: 19 Danny Etling
RB (2): 33 Aaron Jones, 28 AJ Dillon
Released: 27 Patrick Taylor, 39 Tyler Goodson, 34 Dexter Williams
Physically unable to perform: 32 Kylin Hill
WR (7): 13 Allen Lazard, 18 Randall Cobb, 11 Sammy Watkins, 8 Amari Rodgers, 9 Christian Watson, 87 Romeo Doubs, 83 Samori Toure
Released: 88 Juwann Winfree, 86 Travis Fulgham
Waived/injured: 5 Ishmael Hyman
TE (4): 89 Marcedes Lewis, 85 Robert Tonyan, 81 Josiah Deguara, 84 Tyler Davis
Released: 80 Sal Cannella
Waived/injured: 82 Nate Becker, 47 Alizé Mack
OL (10): 69 David Bakhtiari, 74 Elgton Jenkins, 76 Jon Runyan, 71 Josh Myers, 70 Royce Newman, 73 Yosh Nijman, 67 Jake Hanson, 50 Zach Tom, 75 Sean Rhyan, 63 Rasheed Walker
Released: 72 Caleb Jones, 65 Michal Menet
DL (6): 97 Kenny Clark, 94 Dean Lowry, 90 Jarran Reed, 93 T.J. Slaton, 95 Devonte Wyatt, 99 Jonathan Ford
Released: 96 Jack Heflin, 60 Chris Slayton
Waived/injured: 98 Akial Byers
OLB (5): 91 Preston Smith, 52 Rashan Gary, 40 Tipa Galeai, 55 Kingsley Enagbare, 53 Jonathan Garvin
Released: 49 Kobe Jones, 54 La'Darius Hamilton
ILB (4): 59 De'Vondre Campbell, 7 Quay Walker, 51 Krys Barnes, 58 Isaiah McDuffie
Released: 57 Ray Wilborn, 44 Ty Summers
CB (5): 23 Jaire Alexander, 21 Eric Stokes, 29 Rasul Douglas, 25 Keisean Nixon, 22 Shemar Jean-Charles
Released: 37 Rico Gafford, 48 Kabion Ento, 43 Kiondre Thomas
S (5): 31 Adrian Amos, 26 Darnell Savage, 6 Dallin Leavitt, 24 Tariq Carpenter, 46 Micah Abernathy
Released: 35 De'Vante Cross
Waived/injured: 30 Shawn Davis, 38 Innis Gaines
Spec. (3): 2 Mason Crosby, 16 Pat O'Donnell, 56 Jack Coco
Released: 45 Ramiz Ahmed
See headshots and action shots of the complete Green Bay Packers 2022 roster.
Here are some noteworthy items:
- The Packers released first-year kicker Ramiz Ahmed, clearing the way for all-time leading scorer Mason Crosby to play in his 242nd consecutive game when Green Bay opens the 2022 campaign in Minnesota on Sept. 11. Crosby spent all of camp on the team's physically unable to perform list after undergoing an offseason knee procedure. Ahmed played well in Crosby's absence, going 3-for-3 on field goals while converting all three of his extra points in two preseason contests. Green Bay carried a kicker (J.J. Molson) on its practice squad all last season.
- If the Packers begin the regular season with just Aaron Jones and AJ Dillon on the 53, it would mark the fewest running backs the team has had on its Week 1 roster since 2010 (Ryan Grant and Brandon Jackson). However, the Packers also retained three fullbacks (John Kuhn, Korey Hall and Quinn Johnson) that year. By keeping just Jones and Dillon, it's the fewest running backs the Packers have carried on their initial 53-man roster since 2018 (Jamaal Williams and Ty Montgomery; Aaron Jones was on the suspended list for one week). The Packers signed a third (Darius Jackson) the following day.
- The Packers' entire 11-player draft class made the initial 53-man roster. Since 2018, Green Bay has cut just four of its 48 rookie draft picks (OL Cole Van Lanen, 2021; OL Jake Hanson, 2020; DL James Looney and LB Kendall Donnerson, 2018). All four were re-signed to the practice squad.
- Long snapper Jack Coco extended the Packers' streak to 18 straight years of at least one undrafted rookie making the team's 53-man roster. Coco signed with Green Bay in May following a successful tryout at rookie minicamp. While the former Georgia Tech walk-on snapped on field goals for three years, this summer marked the first time Coco snapped in a game setting since high school. Coco, who was awarded a scholarship last August, played tight end during his senior season with the Yellowjackets.
- Perhaps the best story of camp was former USFL standout Micah Abernathy, who made Green Bay's 53-man roster despite first signing on Aug. 10 due to mounting injuries at safety. It's the shortest amount of time a free agent with no accrued NFL seasons has made Green Bay's 53 in at least 10 years. The next closest was undrafted linebacker James Crawford (Aug. 8, 2018). Abernathy recorded 11 tackles (one for a loss) in the preseason and made one of the most memorable plays of the summer when he picked off New Orleans quarterback Ian Book while managing to keep his feet in bounds. The 6-foot, 195-pound safety entered the league as an undrafted free agent with the Minnesota Vikings and spent time with Tampa Bay and Indianapolis before playing for the XFL's Dallas Renegades in 2020 and USFL's Houston Gamblers this past year. He finished ninth in the USFL with 68 tackles (45 solo) to go along with two interceptions and a forced fumble.
- For the second straight year, the Packers retained only two quarterbacks on their initial 53. It's the first time Green Bay has carried just two QBs into Week 1 in back-to-back seasons since 2012-13.
- It's the sixth straight year the Packers have kept at least nine offensive linemen. The last time they retained 10 came in 2017, though Don Barclay was placed on injured reserve the next day. The last time 10 offensive linemen appeared on Green Bay's Week 1 roster came in 2010.
- By going heavy at receiver, the Packers are positioned to have seven wideouts on their Week 1 roster for the third time in five years and fourth in the last seven. It's the most receivers to make it through final cuts since eight did in 2018, though Jake Kumerow was placed on injured reserve the following day.
- Five cornerbacks are the fewest Green Bay has carried on its initial 53 in more than a decade, though only five made it to Week 1 in 2018.
- Linebacker Tipa Galeai made the 53 for the first time in three tries. The 6-foot-5, 229-pound linebacker spent his entire rookie season in 2020 on the Packers' practice squad before finally signing to the active roster last November. He has 12 tackles in eight career appearances.
- The Packers have six players on their 53-man roster who previously spent time on their practice squad, including tight end Robert Tonyan, receiver Allen Lazard and tackle Yosh Nijman.
- Ten players on the Packers' 53-man roster entered the NFL as college free agents. The rest of the round-by-round breakdowns are as follows: first round (11 players), second (seven), third (four), fourth (six), fifth (five), sixth (five) and seventh (five).
- Aaron Rodgers is the first player in Packers history to make the team's initial roster in 18 consecutive seasons.